Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: VGA to composite RCA conversion  (Read 3268 times)

aevolver

VGA to composite RCA conversion
« on: November 16, 2005, 11:21:47 AM »
Hi all.

I'm trying to record what's being shown on my monitor.  I searched around and found a cable that has a VGA connection on one end, and an S-video AND composite RCA cable on the other end.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/trianglecables-site_1866_8457785

When I route the cable out to a vcr and then a tv using the RCA cable, all I get is a blue screen.  I've also tried going straight to a tv (no vcr) with no luck.  I've tried two different computers as well.

Can anyone offer some insight as to why this isn't working for me?  Could the type of video card I'm using make a difference?  Do I need to turn my computer on with this configuration already in place, rather than switching it out while the computer is already on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dell4700

Re: VGA to composite RCA conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 03:26:40 PM »
aevolver,

I'll try to make this helpful, but keep in mind that this could easily be a very very long thread.  If I am overly simple or technical, it's because I don't know your experience or knowledge on the subject.

My initial comments are:

- you can't do that - everything being equal, you can't use VGA signals out of your normal video card/on-board circuitry to a TV or VCR.  The signals are entirely different.  The frame/scan rates are different.  The resolutions are different.  The signal levels are different.  Etc.

- simply using a cable with VGA on one end and composite video/S-video on the other will not work and may damage your equipment.  Without a schematic of this cable (I searched their website) I can only surmise that it was created to be used with other hardware such as a scan converter, video converter or other specialty circuits/cards.  Perhaps there is a specific electronic use for the cable.  Experimental/Hobbyist?
Do you have a driver, card or board that allows you to change the output of your VGA signals?

- PC video drivers and cards use conversion circuits to output standard video/S-video via RCA and S-video connectors.  These signals are usually not output via the VGA connector.

- I/we can help you with the circuitry necessary to convert your standard VGA output to TV if you are interested, however, it would require more than a cable and a very good understanding of electronic theory.

I'm trying to record what's being shown on my monitor.

This is easily accomplished with any number of cheap video cards.  Some will allow you to use both your monitor and a TV/VCR, some will not.  All of the capable cards will have a video/s-video output connector.

Hope I've answered some of your questions!

Dell
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 07:47:51 PM by Dell4700 »

aevolver

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 03:49:38 PM »
I had a suspicion that this was the problem.  Thank you very much for your prompt reply.  

I doubt that my video card will allow me to change the output type.  I'm sure I must have the baseline video card, as I did not ask for anything special when I bought the computer.

I'll do some looking around for a video card that will suit my needs, though I wouldn't mind some recommendations.  I don't use my computer for gaming or any other video/ graphics intensive purposes... so I'm really looking to go the cheap route.

While I've got your attention, I'll ask if maybe there's another (easier?) solution to my ultimate goal... to capture for my own collection some streaming video of a concert that's being shown on VH1.com.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 03:53:47 PM by aevolver »

Dell4700

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 08:15:16 PM »
Glad to help!

BTW - the quality of low end (cheap) video cards is usually pretty poopie from the video/s-video ports.  Add that to the relatively low quality of any streaming video and you may not be happy with the results.  Maybe others can give you their experience with boards.

In some cases you can capture/record streaming video directly to your PC and deal with conversion later.  This depends on the player, copy protection, etc.
Captured video files can then be converted to VCD/SVCD/DVD formats and written to disk for normal viewing on a player.  Most newer recordable PC drives provide the software necessary for this. I use Roxio Easy Media Creator.

Of course, if the concert is also broadcast via their cable/satellite network you could also tape it off the air.  I assume this is not the case or an option for you.

Dell