Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual Boot  (Read 2151 times)

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

Dual Boot
    « on: October 23, 2015, 04:21:53 AM »
    I am running Windows7 and I've installed another HDD on which I've installed Windows10. I had to disconnect the HDD with W7 on it as the W10 installer just wanted to upgrade my W7. this means that MS config in W7 just sees W7. I tried easyBCD but it also just sees the W7 installation and when I point to the W10 drive it just adds another menu after the startup in the bios. I've searched for a solution but none of them seem to work.
    Is there a way for a simple choice to boot between the systems without having to keep waiting at startup with F8 pressed. Another irksome problem has arisen where bios? keeps wanting to check the 3rd HDD for problems even though I did let it check once.

Dave

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dual Boot
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 04:41:28 AM »
    Primary OS would have to be Win 10 possibly and then that BCD configured to point backwards to 7 as an option as for Windows 7 may not support the pointing to newer OS of 10. Just a guess.. Not confirmed solution. But I had to do it this way with Windows XP and Win 98 years ago... XP had to be the primary and Windows 98 the secondary alternate OS choice. Windows XP bootloader for boot.ini was use to point back to Win 98. So thats why I am thinking BCD for 10 has to be configured to point back to 7 as a guess. :-\

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 06:13:09 AM »
      Many thanks for your reply and will try that when I get back to normal as Since posting the above I've now got more problems with the BIOS

I've disconnected my W10 HDD just so that I can use my computer normally on W7, however I cannot get the bios to just boot to my W7 SSD. I now have a choice of Atapi (?), Samsung DVD (which was the CD rom I installed W10 from), WDC HDD (which is a data only HDD), Samsung SSD (Which is my W7 SSD) & a USB storage HDD. Once I get past that hurdle I then have to choose between 2 W7 Entries.

How can I get back to normal, ie remove all of these additional choices

Regards

Dave

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 06:18:37 AM »
        Another problem which will have to wait. Went back into W10 and when it eventually booted up, after updating, my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse are not recognised so looks like I'll have to start reinstalling W10 again after I get this BIOS sorted