Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unauthorized Battery Detected  (Read 11211 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Unauthorized Battery Detected
« on: October 29, 2015, 03:49:36 PM »
Does anyone know what Windows 8 would be basing an error message about an "Unauthorized laptop battery" on?

I've not seen the laptop myself yet but apparently it is generating error messages about the battery. I know that it is the original battery and that it has never been removed. The laptop is about a year old. I'm worried that this could be signs of battery failure if this is based off voltage or amperage output.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Unauthorized Battery Detected
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 04:13:50 PM »
Until you see the unit it's all speculation...
My guess is the original battery failed...and they bought a cheapo generic replacement...
Let us know.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mrfesh

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 07:28:51 PM »
    The cheap batteries usually do not affect the computer badly in anyway, and when getting a replacement one or one to switch out to (if you like carrying extra batteries on you) they  (assuming you get them from a good source) will last the computer the same length of work-life at half or such the cost. Laptop batteries are not just larger cells, placed in sequence. They are usually provided with some sort of small board that regulates the charging rates and distribution of power on a basic scale. The computer can read the little pcb board in the package and ell maybe using a simple resistor current testing or some small handshake. However, not to worry, this should probably not affect your choice of laptop because the warning can be turned off and the battery can be replaced with a real one for maybe $30-40 which is effectively a small cost to pay to replace anything on a laptop. Windows will get a battery is almost dead message showing up if they sense the battery life is failing, even with most cheapo brands. Anyhow, I've always found that buying a cheapo whenever needed always worked me out the same as buying the "real one". Cheapo brands can come with the lying about capacity disadvantage but you can usually resolve this by buying a higher capacity cheapo pack or testing it yourself with discharging rates in the computer. The Chinese knock-off will also be relatively easy to tell when removed from the back, usually by particularly shoddy labeling looking nothing like the real one (look online for specific pictures).

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 08:10:28 PM »
    Can't believe i read this endosement of cheapo's...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mrfesh

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:28:33 PM »
      Switching out a cheapo with the real thing will only cost a minimum extra. They really have the same cells in them though...depends on the age of the cells but to be honest, when getting a new computer, either option is fine. As a master of getting things to work out, for all general purposes, it won't kill anybody to stick with a cheapo pack for a bit. That's the reality of it. When it says battery is dying then is the only time to worry a bit.  :P

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 01:13:07 AM »
      Not to nit pick but:

Does anyone know what Windows 8 would be basing an error message about an "Unauthorized laptop battery" on?

I've not seen the laptop myself yet but apparently it is generating error messages about the battery. I know that it is the original battery and that it has never been removed The laptop is about a year old. I'm worried that this could be signs of battery failure if this is based off voltage or amperage output.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 03:33:50 AM »
      Such a message can be the result of problems with battery detection. Laptop batteries have a chip in them that IDs the battery. I have heard of it happening with Lenovo products. Probably happens with others. Often it is necessary to go in the BIOS. I suggest posting in a forum specializing in the actual brand/model.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 05:35:50 AM »
      Sorry I forgot to update this thread. All solved now.

Much to my "surprise" the laptop in question is a Lenovo (Formally IBM. IBM makes these pieces of s#!+ !?)

The laptop comes with hardware management software. As is turns out if you forget to update the software it declares your battery as void and refuses to charge it. A simple software update resolved all problems.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I have since discovered that the laptop is suffering from a serious case of Windows 8. I'm not sure that I have the technical expertise to resolve this.