Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Upgrade Vs Buying New Computer  (Read 2711 times)

Lazereye

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer Upgrade Vs Buying New Computer
    « on: November 04, 2015, 10:02:48 PM »
    Hello Everyone!

So my question is should i buy a whole new gaming dekstop (Price range 500-600$) or upgrade my existing one?

My current specs are

i3-2130
    Gtx-Nivida 570
    Windows 8
    1tb
    64 bit
    ---

So i was warned about upgrading my setup,because i would have to upgrade my Motherboard soon after if i bought a new Cpu and Graphics card, on top of that i would have to buy a better Fan to keep all this cool for extended Gaming.

Would it be better for me to buy a entire new computer or upgrade hardware?  Im very inexperienced with how the replacing things go, as in better stuff requires more fans etc, how would i put in fans in the case if theres no room etc?

Thanks for reading if you have any helpful tips please feel free to comment!!!! ;D

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer Upgrade Vs Buying New Computer
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 05:46:56 AM »
    What exactly are you starting with here i.e. Is it a branded PC or a self built? Why are you attempting an upgrade? It might help people gage what you will need if you provide some idea of what you would like your computer to do which it doesn't do now or you would like it to do better.

Without knowing which motherboard that you're using it's hard to recommend much. An Intel i7-4790S might be a viable upgrade rout for you.

Do you know how much RAM your system has?

Lazereye

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 07:17:18 AM »
      Hey Acc, i have 8gigs of ram, i want to upgrade for better gaming, all these new games are coming out and i find myself not being able to run them, even on lowest. This is a dell, but the graphics card was put in by Bestbuy

Im just worried if i order parts like that i will need new motherboard, and cooling

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 07:56:36 AM »
      What model Dell so we can look up the main board to see what the board supports according to Dell? 

( * You might find that you need to flash the main board to support a newer i5 or i7. This comes with some risk of if power was disrupted during the flash process if necessary you can kill your main board. )

Accessless

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 09:21:31 AM »
      What exactly are you starting with here i.e. Is it a branded PC or a self built? Why are you attempting an upgrade? It might help people gage what you will need if you provide some idea of what you would like your computer to do which it doesn't do now or you would like it to do better.

Without knowing which motherboard that you're using it's hard to recommend much. An Intel i7-4790S might be a viable upgrade rout for you.

Do you know how much RAM your system has?

What model Dell so we can look up the main board to see what the board supports according to Dell? 

( * You might find that you need to flash the main board to support a newer i5 or i7. This comes with some risk of if power was disrupted during the flash process if necessary you can kill your main board. )

I forgot to say Don't buy the CPU that I recommended yet. At the moment it is literally an educated guess as to what might be compatible. We need either the computer model or motherboard model to know.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 11:30:01 AM »
      I forgot to say Don't buy the CPU that I recommended yet. At the moment it is literally an educated guess as to what might be compatible. We need either the computer model or motherboard model to know.
      To be clear, it is not compatible, totally different socket.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 12:08:22 PM »
      Hey Acc, i have 8gigs of ram, i want to upgrade for better gaming, all these new games are coming out and i find myself not being able to run them, even on lowest.

This would concern me, your system is by no means brand new but it's far from ancient and the hardware isn't terrible.  I've certainly run lower-spec machines which have coped with modern games albeit on medium or lower settings.  Could you give some examples of games you've struggled with?

Lazereye

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 08:21:19 PM »
        Games like, overwatch, Cod, etc

On my computer right now,

Processor is i3-2130 3.40Ghz

System model: Inspiron 660

bios: A05

Dell inc

Accessless

Adviser
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 10:15:15 PM »
        To be clear, it is not compatible, totally different socket.

Whoops. Well that's embarrassing...

Games like, overwatch, Cod, etc

On my computer right now,

Processor is i3-2130 3.40Ghz

System model: Inspiron 660

bios: A05

Dell inc

Your computer does meet the minimum requirements for those games. However I don't know if that allows for online play.

Lazereye

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 06:56:25 AM »
          Basically what i was wondering is,

What parts should i get,

Like which i5 would work for my motherboard, and if i get a 750 nivida

What powersupply will i need, and will i need a new fan?

Also will i need a new case or should all this go in the same?

Accessless

Adviser
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 10:24:26 AM »
          As for your current system I think that an Intel Core i5-3570 or i7-3770S Are the two best choices as they are around the same power consumption and TDP but they seem to be hard to come by.
          From what I have dug up though I have found that the Inspiron 660 shiped with either an i3-2130 or i5-3330 so I would expect that one would work.

You will need another member though as I'm not 100% that these are compatible. *Looks at camerongray
          The little experience that I have with upgrading Dell PC's is that it can be difficult.

I'm basing the compatibility on an Intel mobo with the same chipset. But I have no idea if Dell ever updated the BIOS for their motherboard to allow the use of them.

The real kicker is that the older CPU upgrades and the newer CPU's (that you will need a new motherboard for) cost about the same and deliver the same performance (so the newer stuff would be more expensive when adding on the cost of the motherboard).

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 04:29:31 PM »
          All this speculation means Zilch since we still don't know what Mboard you have...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "