Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there a tool that repairs or destroys broken sectors on unbranded micro SD  (Read 2502 times)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
Almost all sd cards i bought on ebay are working with only a fraction of the space it is supposed to be on it.
I tried many formatting tools but nothing changes.
Is there a tool that can boot in dos and detect the micro sd inserted in a usb drive, and scan and fix these broken sectors or at least separate the working space from the unworking one and simply destroy it so that only what is working is seen on it. Example 128gb becomes 22gb because from what it have noticed is that data past that size disapears once the transfer is completed.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Is it partitioned as FAT32 or NTFS?

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • www.maxartwurk.com
I have tried both

DaveLembke

Sage
Is there a make/model for these micro SD's or are they generic no-name devices?

Have you made contact with the seller of these devices for a refund or was it for sale as-is no returns? I'd return them if they are defective for a refund.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
It is not the case that these devices have broken areas, they are fake cards that have never had 128gb of storage, they are just made to look as though they do. 

It is possible to set the real capacity on these cards as seen here: http://www.gadgetvictims.com/2012/07/quickn-dirty-way-to-fix-fake-sd-card.html so it will at least work at it's actual capacity (probably 8-16gb) however I wouldn't trust the card with any important data, it's a cheap generic card of unknown quality so could fail at any moment.

As Dave says, contact the seller and demand a refund, if they refuse, put a claim in through eBay/Paypal - The seller is selling fake cards and chances are they know it.

When buying SD cards, remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! If you are paying a fraction of the price of a genuine branded card, especially at ridiculous high capacities, it's probably a fake one.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Short answer: No such tool.
This is the common experience of those who buy cheap stuff. Myself included. There does not seem  to be any law about selling junk.  If the manufacture can make a product that might last a few months, he can sell it "as is" or a 30 day warranty.
Manufacturing Defects
There's a lot of pressure to produce small, cheap, high-capacity devices. To do this, manufacturers do not worry about perfection, and ship devices with something like 2-5% of the memory already bad. t  These initial bad blocks are masked out and shouldn't affect anything, but actually do long term.
A particular card will have a lot more than it's supposed to, including blocks which weren't properly masked out. This is likely with cheap cards.
So.... read the fine print before you buy.
This may help:  ;)
Best Micro SD Cards.

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • www.maxartwurk.com
No worries, i was refunded, but i don't like to put electronics to trash.
I would like to use what i can of these, with always keeping in mind that a polished *censored* is still a *censored*, so nothing important will ever be on those.

I just want to remove all fake space and test it with data and softwares, see if you can boot hiren, install windows, keep data, transfer speed just for testing purposes.

Thanks for the support, i will try the fake usb scanning softwares.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Melt them down ...and make a sculpture.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "