Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buddy's PC Won't Recognise System Disk  (Read 3768 times)

Andrew Applegate

Buddy's PC Won't Recognise System Disk
« on: November 16, 2005, 11:48:03 PM »
Hi, I am attempting to reboot Windows ME onto my friend's crashed PC that was running Win 98 (90% sure it was win 98).  The method of installation was through CD-Rom.  The computer was searching the floppy drive for system files, but not the CD ROM drive.  The Boot Sequence would only display this one prompt, and nothing else:

{Non-System Disk or Disk Error.  Replace and strike any key when ready.}

I  can't get past this screen on that computer. The computer that i'm using RIGHT NOW is my friend's only working computer, and it has no floppy drive to load the Windows AutoRun Files or Boot-Up Files. I tried forcing the non-working computer to read CD Rom only, by disconnecting the Floppy Disk Drive, and I have no clue if it read the CD Rom or if it was just making a loud noise. - I PULLED UP THE CD ROM CONTENTS ON THIS [WORKING] COMPUTER AND I NOTICED AN AUTO-RUN FILE .TXT FORMAT FOR NOTEPAD FILE AND ALSO AN AUTORUN FOLDER, WHICH CONTAINS TWO FILES, ONE WAS DESCRIBED AS AN AUTO-RUN PROGRAM IN PROPERTIES, BUT I DON"T EVEN KNOW IF THESE FILES ARE CAPAPABLE OF AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLING THE NEW OS FROM THE BOOT SEQUENCE THAT IT WON'T LET ME GET PAST!!!- If that makes sense.  Do I need a different auto-run file from the internet, is it a hardware issue, is there a way to (while in this boot sequence) switch to the cd rom drive as the boot-up disk for OS installation, and last but not least- is there a way to enter safe mode without any OS???? (I'm assuming the OS is non-existent, and further assuming that it has crashed)  I can't even be sure if the OS crashed or not, because the boot sequence will only display that one prompt about a disk reading error (mentioned earlier).  And the disk should be fine, it's just a backup i made of the original ME Os Startup Disk I have (but unfortunately misplaced).  I need some expertise please- and if possible, a list of different troubleshooting methods that would work for multiple different scenarios (since I can't diagnose the problem for sure.)  Could it have to do with hardware, software, or maybe both?  I have so many questions, and would appreciate any sort of bone that could be thrown my way.  
Thank You

Oh and by the way, I was not yelling in the ALL-CAPS text above; I'm just a tiny bit frustrated and am on the verge of scrapping the project and  boxing the computer back up.

thanks a million!!!!

Andrew Applegate

Re: Buddy's PC Won't Recognise System Disk
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 12:08:17 AM »
i believe i am lacking the boot software for the installation, so i checked microsoft downloads page, and they only have one for XP.  Is there somewhere else to download the boot files for ME?

GX1_Man

Re: Buddy's PC Won't Recognise System Disk
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 04:23:43 AM »
www.bootdisk.com for whatever you might need.

Mac

PC Won't Recognise System Disk
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 12:57:40 PM »
I am attempting to reboot Windows ME onto my friend's crashed PC that was running Win 98. (90% sure it was '98).

The method of installation was through CD-ROM.  The computer was searching the floppy drive for system files, but not the CD ROM drive. The Boot Sequence would only display this one prompt, and nothing else:

"Non-System Disk or Disk Error.  Replace and strike any key when ready."

I can't get past this screen on that computer. The computer that I'm using at the moment is my friend's only working computer, and it has no floppy drive to load the Windows AutoRun Files or Boot-Up Files.

I tried forcing the non-working computer to read CD-ROM only, by disconnecting the Floppy Disk Drive, and I have no clue if it read the CD-ROM or if it was just making a loud noise.

I pulled up the CD-ROM contents on this, working, computer and I noticed an auto-run .txt file and also an auto-run folder which contains two files. One was described as an auto-run program in Properties, but I don't even know if these files are capable of automatically installing the new OS from the boot sequence that it won't let me get past. If that makes sense.

Do I need a different auto-run file from the internet? Is it a hardware issue? Is there a way to, while in this boot sequence, switch to the CD-ROM drive as the boot-up disk for OS installation?

And, last but not least, is there a way to enter safe mode without any OS?

(I am assuming the OS is non-existent, and further assuming that it has crashed)

I can't even be sure if the OS crashed or not, because the boot sequence will only display that one prompt about a disk reading error, mentioned earlier, and the disk should be fine. It is a backup I made of the original ME OS Startup Disk I have, but unfortunately misplaced.

I need some expertise please, and if possible, a list of different troubleshooting methods that would work for multiple different scenarios, as I can't diagnose the problem for sure.

Could it have to do with hardware, software, or maybe both?  I have so many questions, and would appreciate any sort of bone that could be thrown my way.

Thank You.

Download a '98se bootdisk image file and make up a new bootdisk, then go to www.burzurq.com and add Delindex to it and then boot to that. Choose Minimal boot and, at the prompt, type: A:\>dir /p

What do you see? Are there any files on the drive?