Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Does anyone use Windows 10?  (Read 7594 times)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Does anyone use Windows 10?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 09:39:06 PM »
All my pictures were on Windows Photo Gallery and this doesn't support it.  I went to the photos app on this and it doesn't seem like it wants to load my pictures onto it. 
Windows 10 will support Photo Gallery.  I have it in my Windows 10 system.  I am not absolutely sure it came with Windows 10; I might got it by downloading.   Open All Apps and go down to the group of apps starting with P and see whether Photo Gallery is there.  If you don't have it, you can download Windows Essentials 2012, which includes Photo Gallery; this will work with Windows 10 even though the download page does not mention Windows 10 as one of the operating system it supports.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »
...  All my pictures were on Windows Photo Gallery and this doesn't support it.  ...
Shhh!  Don't tell my computers that are running Win 10 that they don't support Windows Photo Gallery as they are all happily using it instead of the default app.

See this article on how to change the default apps in Windows 10: http://www.howtogeek.com/223144/how-to-set-your-default-apps-in-windows-10/

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 09:18:01 AM »
    HELP! I've got IE11 but I can't change my homepage or start page to xfinity where I want it.  I changed the defaults, settings, anything I can find to change, but it just keeps opening MSN.  There is a setting that says MSN and I tried to get rid of it, but it won't go anywhere.  It's under settings on the little tool thing at the top right, and it will not change.  I can't delete it, I can't type over it, it just stays there.  What do I do?  Thanks guys!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 09:32:30 AM »
    Control Panel - Internet Options - General Tab

Enter the home page(s) you want, delete what you don't want and save

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 10:07:49 AM »
      I did that Allan - it is still not going to xfinity.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to set up email and I can't get rid of MSN.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 08:15:44 PM »
      I did that Allan - it is still not going to xfinity.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to set up email and I can't get rid of MSN.
      Try this.  Go to the xfinity web page you want to make your home page. Close any other tabs so that the only website open in IE is xfinity.  Open the Internet Options panel, as Allan advised.  Click the Use current button below the box for Home page.  The xfinity web address should appear in the box. Also, make sure the box - actually, a circle - for Start with home page is checked.   Click Apply and click OK at bottom of the panel. The panel will close.  Close IE and restart it.  xfinity should appear. 

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 10:26:48 AM »
        I'm here with my new computer again and I love how fast it is. I do have a question about how you were telling me to go to make xfinity my home page.  I got it to do it, then somehow, when I downloaded AVG, AVG became my start page. I finally got xfinity back as my start page, but before it loads to xfinity, it comes up with a page that says blank in the address bar, then xfinity takes over with a new page.  I don't know how to get rid of that "blank" page.  Also, you know how you can pick the colors for your computer, on the task bar and up at the top around the address bar? I cannot for the life of me get the color on the top to show up.  I've done everything I can figure to do, but it is still white. The reason I don't like it white is it just kind of blends in with everything and I am not crazy about it.  Maybe having color up there since I've owned a computer makes me psychologically feel I need something to define the space around the address bar.  I know I'm picky, but you guys might know how to do this. I've been to help and searched my computer, and I did find where the colors are you pick, and the task bar at the bottom is blue, like I wanted, but not the top.  Am I missing something?  Thanks in advance.  I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!  (You can see I'm not busy today)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 10:44:43 AM »
        Control Panel/Personalisation...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
          Yeah, I know to go there, and I changed the color to blue, but like I said, it only changed the taskbar at the bottom but not at the top of the page.  Cannot figure out why.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »
          It was only with a relatively recent update earlier this month that changing Window Titlebars was made available. It's possible that you don't have that latest update (Threshold 2). I seem to recall some kerfuffle with Microsoft taking it down from their update servers, but that may have been resolved.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 07:11:29 PM »
            All right!  I did it!  I did updates and now I have color where I want it.  Now the address doesn't just fade in with everything else.  Thank you, BC_O\Programmer!

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 07:15:52 PM »
              Uh-oh, got another question. When I open my email and see the email, the pictures that should be there are little squares with an x in them.  How do you get the pictures to show up - I have Windows Live 2012.  Thank you!

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 09:03:25 AM »
              Uh-oh, got another question. When I open my email and see the email, the pictures that should be there are little squares with an x in them.  How do you get the pictures to show up - I have Windows Live 2012.  Thank you!
              See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/view-images-that-windows-mail-blocked   I think you'll find the solution there.  Simply stated, you should see an option somewhere in Windows Mail to tell it to display the images in an email.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 02:00:46 PM »
                Thanks, Soybean, but when I did what it said, I didn't have Tools, Options, Security, etc., on my Windows Live Mail. I'll research it some more.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2015, 02:35:42 PM »
                  I got it - I found it.  It was in a different category on the list.  Now my pictures show up.  I love this new computer but Windows 10 does take some time to figure out.