Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SCSI HARDDRIVE SETUPS  (Read 3377 times)

fraber1

SCSI HARDDRIVE SETUPS
« on: November 17, 2005, 08:25:07 AM »
 Anyone know how to get a SCSI III drive (on a 2940 host) to run as a master over an IDE drive as a slave? :)

Dell4700

Re: SCSI HARDDRIVE SETUPS
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 12:37:35 PM »
fraber1,

I assume you're using a PCI adapter with an internal scsi drive?

- find your adapter model
- search here for the correct bios setup utility:  http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/suppbyproduct.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FTechnology%2FSCSI+Host+Adapters&fromPage=supportindex
- install and follow instructions for setting master/boot drive
- an example of setup is here (gives you an idea of what is possible):  http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/supporteditorial.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=SCSI_user_guide&cat=/Product/AHA-2940&fromPage=suppedindexprod

Hope this helps!

Dell

fraber1

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 05:25:36 AM »
    Thanks for the words, but it does not seem to assist me for adding an IDE to a SCSI setup and BOOT FROM THE SCSI. Those instructions seem only to help when using ALL SCSI. I have two 18gig IBM SCSI III drives and want to add an IDE drive for backups. When added, it always tries to boot off the IDE and if it won't boot , none do.

Sebast

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 06:56:41 AM »
Put the IDE drive on the secondary cable and set the jupper to slave.

Also take a look in your BIOS or the SCSI rom software to see if you have the possibility to set up the boot option.

Ciao

Sebast
System Admin

Dell4700

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 08:54:45 AM »
fraber1,

- did you find your model adapter?  What is it?
AHA-2940
AHA-2940 S6
AHA-2940 S76
AHA-2940AU
AHA-2940UW
AHA-2940UW PRO
AHA-2940W
AHA-2940W S6
AHA-2940W S76
AHA-2944UW
AHA-2944W
something else?

- did you read the installation instructions for the board and the Bios Utility?  The Bios (Select) Utility must be installed and set properly.

- here is an example of the basic model (1st one listed):
"Host Adapter BIOS

This option enables or disables the host adapter BIOS. The default setting is Enabled. If the user is booting from a SCSI disk drive connected to the host adapter, the BIOS must be enabled..."
and...
"System Boot (Int 19h) Controlled by Host Adapter

By default this setting is Enabled. On restart and bootup some older systems send a command to system interrupt 19h only, which assumes that the boot device will be an IDE type floppy or fixed hard disk drive. This effectively disables any non IDE drives as boot devices.

The host adapter intercepts the message and routes it to interrupt 13h, the more up to date, non device dependent way to order a system reset. Most of today's PC's call interrupt 13h from 19h for system reset, so enabling or disabling this option will not effect most computers. The user may disable this option if the system uses interrupt 13h for system reset. As long as this option is enabled, the host adapter will detect the system's interrupt and will manage booting..."
and much more.

If you've installed and set the proper Bios Utility, tell me which IDE/SCSI combo doen't work and what your settings were. I'll be glad to help.

Dell

fraber1

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 01:55:28 AM »

Below are set forth my drives and host adapter specs, I'm trying to replace my smaller (18gig) SCSI slave with a larger (80gig) IDE but can't get the SCSIs to master an IDE drive, ever. (all SCSI herein are SCSI IIIs with 68 pins, brand name "Ultrastar" by IBM made in Ferb of 2001 Thailand, Utra3 SCSIs). The 80gig  IDE is not fast enough for use as my master drive. I've tried what another poster sugested to put the IDE on the secondary IDE cable but it did not work. I may not have the jumpers on the drives correct though as someone at a computer center set them up a while back (on the SCSI IIIs).

If you would be so kind I need some instructons on setting jumpers on these IBM SCSI III drives as the jumper markings are more complicated than on any IDEs I've dealt with before please. And where to set the settings on the host adapter if you please. I need to get it right the first time hopefully because it is a $6,000 computer and I hate taking it apart and rubbing up against the memory sticks, chip etc. Already I had a crash that was only resolved by my "jiggling" the power & 68 pin ribbon cable which bugs me that something this pricy would have such a CHEAP connector system, can you replace and get a better connector system? I work in robotics and If I came up with such an unreliable and damaging rig I'd be fired! Why do SCSIs like this suddenly crash (more than IDEs) and when I "jiggle" the connectors (even with new ones) they come back up? They are grounded and fanned and I do not jar or handle them while running. The computer is an Athlon 64 FX53 in an ASUS SK8V Motherboard with DDR 400 ECC Memory with  a "VPower" 400 watt power supply. Thing runs hot so I run it open case with a table fan on it. Fan & computer hooked through CPS system. Could a bigger  (or better) power supply be in order?  Is this causing the Molex power connectors to fail maybe? I'm still trying to grasp the Int19 aspect as well.

Thanks so much for all the kind attentions, frab.

MY HOST ADAPTER SPECS:
PCI ULTRA WIDE SCSI MASTER
AHA 2940 ULTRA WIDE PCI TO SCSI
68 PIN CONNECTORS
PRODUCT S/N: BEOE5473FV8 O

FOLLOWING IS SPECS ON MY MAIN SCSI DRIVE I NEED TO GET TO BOOT (WILL BOOT
SEPERATELY OR WITH OTHER SCSI SLAVE DRIVE WHICH IS IDENTICAL WITH
DIFFERENT JUMPER SETTINGS, SEE IT DESCRIBED HEREIN, THAT OTHER SCSI
DRIVE WILL SLAVE BUT IS LIMITED IN SIZE, WON'T SLAVE THE IDE
DESCRIBED HEREIN THOUGH, AND THAT'S WHAT'S NEEDED:
  WIN 98 SE LOADED ON FAT32 PARTITION(S)(SO I CAN XCOPY ON/OFF OF IT)
  MODEL#: DPSS-318350  18.2 GB, 7200 RPM
  P/N: 07N4811   MLC: PS0S94
  S/N: ZE19S625
  ON LUN 1,...
  (BELOW IS DESCRIBED WITH LOOKING AT JUMPERS WITH CONNECTORS UP)
  JUMPERS: LEFT J: 4 TO RIGHT (ID BIT 0),
          RIGHT J: FIRST ONE (A RESERVED).
  2,231 CYLS, 255 HDS, 63 SEC.
  2 PARTITIONS, ONE ABOUT 2G AND SECOND ABOUT 6G, FIRST IS BOOT.

MY INTENDED SLAVE DRIVE SPECS:
  ENHANCED IDE
  MDL: WD800JB 00JJC0 WESTERN DIGITAL 80.0 GIG
  S/N: WCAM96231809
  DATE: 11 APR 2005
  DCM: DSBHCTJCA
  WD P/N: WD800JB 00JJC0
  LBA: 156301488
  ONE (PRESENTLY BOOTABLE) NTSF 5 PARTITION SPANNING ALL THE SPACE.

SCSI DRIVE I AM PRESENTLY USING AS SLAVE DRIVE WITH OTHER SCSI (TOO SMALL):
  MODEL#: DPSS©318350  18.2 GB, 7200 RPM
  P/N: 07N3110   MLC: PS0S96
  S/N: ZE1FG976
  (BELOW IS DESCRIBED WITH LOOKING AT JUMPERS WITH CONNECTORS UP)
  JUMPERS: LEFT J: 2 TO RIGHT (ID BIT 2),
          RIGHT J: FIRST ONE (RESERVED).
  ON LUN 0.
  2,231 CYLS, 255 HDS, 63 SEC?
  2 PARTITIONS, ONE ABOUT 2G AND SECOND ABOUT 6G