Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old Geezer needs lots of help with Dual OS  (Read 2498 times)

qglasspa

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Old Geezer needs lots of help with Dual OS
    « on: November 29, 2015, 05:03:35 PM »
    Good Evening All....I think I am getting to old for all this new stuff...Regardless, I need some advice.

Here's my situation: I have a Mini Mac hooked up to dual monitors. One is through Thunderbolt to a DVI adapter and the other is from the HDMI port to a DVI adapter on the second monitor. I use a wireless mouse and keyboard for the mini-Mac....as I approach my Golden Years, the brainiacs above me have decided the company CFO should have Dell Laptop with Windows 7 so he can take it home and be able to work on our accounting systems 24/7, rain or shine, weekends and holidays....but I digress.

The Dell Laptop has only one HDMI port and multiple USB's. No DVI or VGA.

First, I would like to use the same dual monitor setup to be able to use the mini and then switch to the Dell when I am working from home. Using one monitor for one and another monitor for the other simulataneously is all secondary and not a necessity.

Second, I would like to keep the keyboard and mouse wireless and be able to operate from one computer to the other. (However, this isn't my highest priority. I am OK with a direct connection to a hub or switch if I have to make my other priorities work.)

I know there is some sort of switch involved. Based on the above info, what kind of hub/switch do I need? And second, what additional cables/adapters will I need to make all this work.

Thanks to all of you in advance for your response. I will answer any questions after my daily dose of Geritol and quick nap.

Warmest Regards,
    Paul

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Old Geezer needs lots of help with Dual OS
    « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 05:14:42 PM »
    What model of laptop is it?  It may have other video outputs that you haven't noticed such as (mini)Displayport.

You can get USB to VGA/HDMI/DVI adapters which would work for your needs however bear in mind that these need special drivers so check with your IT department to be sure that you/they can install them on the machine.

You can get "KVM Switches" to switch between both the Mac Mini and the Laptop however ones that support dual monitors are not that common and ones that support HDMI/DVI (not just VGA) are generally very expensive.  For the time it takes, I'd be inclined to just swap the cables manually as needed.

qglasspa

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 06:02:20 PM »
      Cameron:

Its a Dell Inspiron 15R. Aside from an ethernet port and a slot for an SD card, I don't see any other ports.

The manual cable changeover is a PIA. Hope there is a hub or switch somewhere that will do the trick

Thanks for your response

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 06:32:12 PM »
      Talk to a salesperson at you favorite parts store.
      Or search for  switches by themselves.
      That is :
      One s2 way witch for keyboard.
      One 2-waY switch for VGA l monitor.
      Other 2- way switch for HDMI monitor.

Buy another mouse. (Cheaper than the switch.)  8)

Simple switch is economical:
      http://www.amazon.com/Ports-VGA-Switch-Selector-Monitor/dp/B003DTZQFY

And there is a product called share mouse...
      http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/two-computers-one-keyboard.htm
      But it is pricey.

qglasspa

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »
        Thanks for the link but I this is for two computers and one monitor. I have dual monitors but it did give me some ideas for looking. Thanks again

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 11:25:29 PM »
        The simple mechanical 2 port switch works either way.  Hook it  up backwards. I had two monitors and two computers. With two switches, you cover all bases.
        A. Left PC on Left monitor and right PC on right Monitor.
        B. Reverse the above.
        C.Left PC gets both monitors.
        D. Right PC gets both monitors.