Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Google chrome thinks i'm in Montreal while i am not, can't find a way fix this  (Read 10102 times)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
Hi
I have been trying to change my browser location on my win7 pc, i live in Québec City, but it thinks im in Montreal, so i i want to use services that detect my location, it always wrong, any help?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Doesn't matter where you live...it's picking up your ISP's location...not yours.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
ok and do you know a chrome plugin tha makes the browser think im in québec city from an actual postal address or something?
I know you can fake other countries but what i am trying to achieve is more specific

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
The browser gets location information via your IP Address. Oftentimes it doesn't work.

I'm on the West Coast on Vancouver Island and oftentimes sites appear to think I'm in Toronto, for example.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Whitie III

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
yes for me it picks up I'm about 8-12 hour drive away from where I am...  I am near Seattle Washington and when I need a phone number or store hours from a local store it always tells me the closest store is in Idaho.... I know there are stores closer to me! so it's where your isp is located....

Salmon Trout

The browser gets location information via your IP Address. Oftentimes it doesn't work.

I'm on the West Coast on Vancouver Island and oftentimes sites appear to think I'm in Toronto, for example.
According to companies that report on these things:

Accuracy rates on naming the city from an IP address vary between 50%-80%.
    Determining the nation of an Internet user is 95%-99% percent accurate, for reasons that have to do with how IP addresses are allocated and registered.
    Determining the physical location of the user, down to a city or ZIP code, is trickier and less accurate.

It depends on what the ISP discloses. For example, the island of Ireland is divided between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland which is a province of the United Kingdom. The Republic's TV provider, RTÉ, provides a web TV service, RTÉ Player, which is available in 2 versions, domestic and international. The international service lacks some programming due to licensing issues. In theory RTÉ makes the domestic service available to all the island of Ireland but some Northern Ireland inhabitants UK-based ISPs issue IP addresses from blocks listed as allocated to Scotland over the sea (where the undersea cable comes from), so they are stuck with the international version.