Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MSi R9 270x Flickering pixels issue.  (Read 3675 times)

geofflolz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    MSi R9 270x Flickering pixels issue.
    « on: November 28, 2015, 08:32:22 PM »
    Hey guys so this has been happening with almost every game I play lately. As you can see from the HUD on the bottom of the screen the pixels are flickering, but still showing the color of the games background, this happens in multiple games in different circumstance making them unplayable almost. Any ideas? I have the latest drivers and all of that stuff, I currently have 3 monitors connected, there is no issue when the PC is running anything else (mostly adobe creative programs) it only happens on games and in certain spots.

Here is a YouTube video showing the problem : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QycrCo7zPdY

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: MSi R9 270x Flickering pixels issue.
    « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 10:00:03 PM »
    I see screen taring in a boxed area on the lower right in a 1 inch by 1 inch area when you change camera view etc, but I dont see the pixels flickering. Have you performed a memory test such as memtest86. Also are you running any overclocks? If running overclocks have you gone back to normal clock to see if the problem goes away.

geofflolz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 11:07:14 PM »
      That is what I meant was the screen taring part, I just didn't know what it was actually called.. But yeah, it happens when overclocked and when running normal. I have not run any tests on it as I really didn't know where to start. Also for what its worth my power supply is the CX500 (I read a lot of posts saying their power supplies weren't good enough resulting in problems, but that was with white pixels). What tests would you recommend I run? And what to look for? I can also post results when they are finished. Thank you for the response.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 11:16:17 PM »
      geofflolz,
      You asking for help with something transitory. Yet you have not given the  specs of your computer. Also, which games do this?  What about lower resolution? Lower frames? I could matter.

Unlike the CPU, a GPU does not have to be perfect. A GPU can 'fudge' a little and still be considered normal in some cases. Vidal disciples for playing games on a home PC do not have to be absolute.  Now if you were making a Star Wars movie with top of the line industrial computer graphics, it would matter.
      Star Wars Revolutionized Special Effects
      The innovative computer-controlled motion photography of John Dykstra’s effects team allowed for more precise use of miniatures and models than ever before, and put Lucasfilm’s visual effects company Industrial Light and Magic on the map...
      Don't ask that of you PC.  8)

geofflolz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 11:24:58 PM »
        Sorry, I have never posted on any of these boards before, here are the specs.

Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING
        CPU: AMD FX 6300 running at 3.5 (not currently overclocked)
        GPU: MSI Radeon R9 270x
        RAM: 32GB DDR3
        HDD: 1TB Western Digital
        PSU: CX500W

And noticeably, other than Fallout 4 it has happened with Sniper Elite III, Dying Light that are the 2 major one's I have noticed, while games like Hatred, Final Fantasy A realm Reborn, Counter Strike, Shadowrun, ARK, Rust,  have all ran fine for the most part. I kind of gave up on the PC gaming and stuck to consoles rather than addressing the problem where I could help it. Finally getting around to trying to figure it out.
        « Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:37:09 PM by geofflolz »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 01:56:06 AM »
        In case anybody isn't seeing it- it seems to apply primarily to the compass indicators at the bottom of the screen. I expect that one needs to be at least somewhat familiar with the game to notice this.

based on a few searches, this is a bug in the "Crimson" AMD drivers. Some users are reporting success switching their FO4 to a "Beta" patch, but that will only fix FO4. (To switch to the Beta patch, Right click FO4 in your steam library, select Properties, and go to the "Betas" tab, and select "beta update" in the drop down. It should download and install the patch.)

Unlike the CPU, a GPU does not have to be perfect. A GPU can 'fudge' a little and still be considered normal in some cases. Vidal disciples for playing games on a home PC do not have to be absolute.  Now if you were making a Star Wars movie with top of the line industrial computer graphics, it would matter.
        This is untrue. the level of fidelity sacrificed for a consumer-oriented graphics card is nowhere near the level of arbitrary visual components flickering for no discernable reason. It's a driver issue anyway, from what I can tell.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

geofflolz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 10:23:11 AM »
          OK, so I downloaded the beta patch to no avail, still happened, however I turned the game resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 the problem goes away, but then it only shows up on half of my monitor.. Any ideas?

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 12:22:30 PM »
          I wonder if you can stretch it with aspect ratio on your monitors without distorting it too badly. It would be in the monitor menu if supported with your displays. As a menu button pressed to get there and adjust. This should size it up and get rid of the black dead screen area, however it can cause distortion  making things shorter and fatter or skinnier and taller proportion etc. Depending on how drastic of stretching is done with aspect ratio it might be so minimal that its not a problem or it stands out like a sore thumb. I ran into this aspect ratio issue with a wide screen display that made my cars and people wide and flat/short with older games intended for a 4:3 aspect ratio. I changed aspect ratio and it helped, however it can work inverse to make what looks ok with dead area on the screen stretched to use the dead area and make it look disproportionate. In addition to aspect ratio the display might have range to adjust the Vertical and Horizontal to size it better to the display. Aspect ratio will snap it to specific ratio but you can go with a tweaked ratio with adjusting the vertical and horizontal if needed if the range of adjustment of the display allows for it without warping like a stretched balloon to fit the space

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 03:15:27 PM »
          As the issue is caused by the AMD "Crimson" Drivers you could try uninstalling them, and rolling back to a previous version.

geofflolz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 03:36:24 PM »
            I attempted to change the resolution on the monitor to match and it went super messed up on me  :'( I got it back to normal now and am going to try to uninstall all the AMD drivers, and redownload them with my anti-virus disabled. (read somewhere else that it also may be a cause) I don't think it is the crimson driver because its on multiple games and has happened even before Crimson was released. but it's worth a shot, I will update soon after I am finished with the results. I have also tried the following.. vsync adjustment in game file, frame locking to 60fps, vysnc adjustments in afterburner, disabling ULPS, enabling Force constant voltage. None of them with any luck.

geofflolz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 07:31:08 PM »
              So an update, I removed all of the AMD drivers I possibly could including the Control Center, restarted the PC, started Fallout 4 and it fixed the issue!... However, because there always is one. The game noticeably clips and lags, im guessing because I don't have any AMD drivers installed. But.. I am scared to install them now.. will update.

geofflolz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 08:05:25 PM »
                Re-installed AMD drivers, same thing happened with the flickering. So it is something with the drivers.. Just don't know what.

geofflolz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
                  Solved it, it is something with the files, the tutorial that fixed it is here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4-VMB4SCZU&feature=iv&src_vid=eSoP9nZCfR4&annotation_id=annotation_4030586919

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 02:58:43 AM »
                  That patch downgrades the OpenGL driver used while FO4 is running. It downgrades to 15.11.1 according to the description.