Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about processor upgrading.  (Read 3556 times)

jayncc1701

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Question about processor upgrading.
    « on: December 01, 2015, 12:46:19 PM »
    My sons computer currently has an AMD FX-4300 processor. I recently got a AMD FX-6300 processor very cheap(brand new). I was going to re-sell it to make some money. But I was wondering if I put that processor in my sons computer how much of a difference he would notice in performance. He mostly games on his computer, but he doesnt play anything thats real graphics intensive. Mostly MMOs and such.

He has a MSI 760GMA-P34 motherboard.
    (yeah, I know)

Thanks!

FX-4300 specs:

FAMILY   AMD FX Series
    LINE   AMD FX 4-Core Black Edition
    MODEL   FX-4300
    OPN TRAY   FD4300WMW4MHK
    OPN PIB   FD4300WMHKBOX
    TOTAL L2 CACHE   4 MB
    UNLOCKED   Yes
    CMOS   32nm
    SOCKET   AM3+
    Performance
    BASE CLOCK SPEED   3.8 GHz
    MAX TURBO CORE SPEED   4 GHz
    TDP   95 W

FX-6300
    FX-6300
    Model
    FD6300WMHKBOX

CPU Socket Type
    CPU Socket Type
    Socket AM3+

Details
    Core Name
    Vishera
    # of Cores
    6-Core
    # of Threads
    Operating Frequency
    3.5 GHz (4.1 GHz Turbo)
    L3 Cache
    8MB
    Manufacturing Tech
    32nm
    64-Bit Support
    Yes
    Virtualization Technology Support
    Yes
    Thermal Design Power
    95W

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Question about processor upgrading.
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 01:10:45 PM »
    MMOs are on line - Right?
    The faster CPU does very little to improve Internet speed.
    Still, he might like the idea of a better CPU.
     - He might intimidate his rivals.  ;D

jayncc1701

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 05:19:44 PM »
      Oh I wasnt talking about better gaming performance. I was just wondering if it would make any difference overall operation.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 06:13:51 PM »
      But I was wondering if I put that processor in my sons computer how much of a difference he would notice in performance. He mostly games on his computer, but he doesnt play anything thats real graphics intensive. Mostly MMOs and such.

If its games similar to Facebook flash games etc, the difference would not be noticeable unless you ran a benchmark to look at the raw processing power numbers.

A list of what games he plays would help better. All the games that I can think of that are not graphically intense and can otherwise run fine on integrated video would be a breeze for the 4-core. Games that come to mind that fall into this category would probably have system requirements that state Pentium 4 1.5Ghz or better and 64MB Video Card.

The FX-4300 isnt a bad or weak CPU. Its more then plenty for what his needs are if light-weight games are thrown at it. The 4300 would even do well with many graphically intensive games with a decent video card added.

If he wanted to run a new graphically intensive game, then you would want to have the better 6-core. However if he is planning on only running light-weight games, its a waste to spend money to replace the CPU when the cores are pretty much at rest running the light-weight games.

A good check would be to have him run his games and look in task manager and look to see how the core activity displays. If the cores are all running above 75% then he might want the 6-core, but as I experienced with some flash games if the games are flash based, flash is single threaded and so you will see a single core pegged to 90-100% and the other cores at rest if nothing else is running to multitask to see the pure behavior of the game itself. The difference between the 4 and 6 core processor I dont feel would be at all noticeable with a flash based game which doesnt utilize the full potential of the CPU due to this fact.

jayncc1701

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 07:02:22 AM »
        Thanks, I didnt really mean for gaming performance, just overall computer performance. But here are some of the games he plays..

wow, minecraft, star wars battlefronts, rift, eve, GTA

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 09:10:21 AM »
        It looks to have more cores, but a lower clock speed.

The question is not really possible to answer with much certainty, especially with CPUs that are so similar. Beyond larger generational gaps it can be difficult to guess what kind of performance differences will be seen. Realistically, the only way to truly test it would be to gather performance metrics with the 4300, install the 6300, and repeat those metrics and compare the two results.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 06:00:22 AM »
        wow, minecraft, star wars battlefronts, rift, eve, GTA

Games listed all but minecraft generally need a decent GPU to drive them to have acceptable performance. Does this system have a video card added on or is it running off of the integrated video off the motherboard? If it has a video card what video card is in it make/model. If your running integrated video what motherboard make/model are you running to look up the GPU specs on it.

You might be upgrading the wrong direction if a video card is not present and your running off of integrated video. The FX4300 is plenty to run these games, but depending on the video card or integrated GPU your running your performance might be capped by the video processing bottleneck if there is one.

I have seen systems with low performance or old processors paired with a good video card be able to play games quite well. Depending on the game that is. As an example I will use World of Warcraft. I have run it on a $35 (USD) AMD Sempron 140 2.7 Ghz Single-Core CPU with a ($50) GeForce 9800GT 1GB video card and 4GB RAM. WoW ran at 40 to 60 fps at normal default video as installed without adjusting settings. I was able to go all the way up to the next setting up from normal graphics setting and top out at 40fps with lowest being 25 fps in a 25 man heroic raid. Had I run this system on the integrated video it would have been able to play wow on the AMD Radeon HD 3000 video but it was only getting 15 fps on normal and when set to lowest settings on integrated video I could get 25 to 40 fps. (* This was my wifes system before I got a Core 2 Duo E6600 to give her that while also not modern plays games like WoW fine at normal settings and decent video card. ) While the Sempron 140 was able to play WoW. There was no multitasking if you wanted performance. You pretty much just ran WoW and wasnt playing iTunes at same time and browser open and all, just WoW so the Single-core only had to keep the game afloat which it did well when thats all it needed to do. The Core 2 Duo E6600 allowed for my wife to be able to multitask and play wow etc and no problems. 1 more core and 3MB more L2 cache helps even with a 300Mhz slower clock between Sempron 140 2.7Ghz and Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 12:28:20 PM »
        You'll find almost no difference in games, and a minor to moderate increase or decrease in general usage - a minor decrease in poorly threaded applications, and a moderate to decent performance increase in heavy multitasking and multi-threaded apps able to take advantage of the additional two cores.

Anandtech has a good review here - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested - which compares the two CPUs in question, plus others.  There are plenty of details in there which should help you make your decision.

A word of caution - that board isn't well known for reliability, mainly due to its VRMs.  Although the FX4300 and FX6300 are supposed to have the same TDP and should therefore consume a similar amount of power under load, however the FX6300 does seem to draw more power than the FX4300 which puts a greater strain on the board's power circuitry.  I personally wouldn't chance it on that board as it could cause it to fail sooner.

Hope this helps.