Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suggest me some laptops below 600USD for development  (Read 2217 times)

mail154

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Suggest me some laptops below 600USD for development
    « on: December 26, 2015, 03:07:33 AM »
    Hello,

My HP Laptop is dead and I am planning to buy a new one. I have to buy one under 600USD and I use this for application development as I am a CS Student. My Earlier Laptop was a i3 one probably second gen I guess. Now I am confused between i3 vs i5. The price difference is also large enough between them.  I also see the laptops with the dedicated Graphics card cost much higher. I don't play games, should my system have a dedicated graphics card even? Or can I trade off Graphics card for more RAM? And what about i3 and i5 equivalents in AMD? are they good enough?

Please suggest me some laptops as you already know i am pretty confused with i3 i5 amd graphics cards etc.,

Hope you could help me out!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Suggest me some laptops below 600USD for development
    « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 06:16:06 AM »
    If you had a i3 prior that was fine, then a i3 or better newer model will be fine.

The integrated modern APU's actually have pretty good graphics processing for the INTEL APUs ( GPU/CPU ) combined processors.

I have a Celeron 1000M ASUS laptop that might even be plenty of processing for what you do, although I would suggest a Core i3 or better. The integrated GPU that is part of the CPU that makes up the APU is actually good enough to play the lighter end games that I play without any issues I also write and edit programs on it in Perl, C#, and C++. I bought this laptop cheap brand new for like $279.99 on sale from the $329.99 price tag a few years ago on a Newegg Black Friday deal. The laptop was to replace my Intel Atom Netbook as for the Netbook with the Intel Atom single core with HT was showing its age and code compiled would take a few minutes sometimes for large projects. The Celeron 1000M 1.8Ghz is much more powerful than the Intel Atom ever was, however if I had $600 and wasnt looking to buy cheap I would have gone with a i3 or an i5 instead.

As far as suggesting a model... it might be easier for you to look online or a local retail outlet for models and then share them here. This way any that are listed are ones that you feel would work out well for you. We then can suggest an alternate model off of that or tell you which one of the list is the better purchase.

As far as AMD Processing laptops go... you have to be careful with some of the AMD laptops as for they might be too green for your processing power needs. *Green as in they have weak processors that are battery life friendly, but weak processing power.

Sharing a list of which ones you like and their price tags would help us help you better.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Suggest me some laptops below 600USD for development
    « Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 06:34:08 AM »
    How do you feel about getting one used or refurbished?  I'm a CS Student too and by far the most popular type of laptop on my course (bar MacBooks) is business grade machines like Lenovo ThinkPads, I use a T440s myself.  They are expensive new but can be picked up used/refurbished easily for under $600, you could quite easily get something like a T450, T440 or T430 for that price (that's ordered from newest to oldest),  Alternatively if you want something smaller/more portable look at things like the X250, X240 or X230.  The benefit you get over regular consumer machines is far better build quality, better support and a wide variety of accessories and spare parts - You can easily get extended batteries that last 10+ hours for example.  If you were to break part of the machine, for example one of the hinges, on many consumer machines it can be a total pain to find the correct part, with business machines part numbers are very well documented and easy to find.  As an alternative to ThinkPads I'd also look at other business machines such as Dell Latitudes or HP ProBooks as these are similar in terms of reliability and build quality.

If you don't game, focus on ones without dedicated graphics, this will help your battery life and look at the screen resolutions, on larger screens (over 13") you're going to want to look for resolutions higher than the basic 1366x768 most cheaper laptops have, the higher resolution is particularly useful for having two things on the screen at once or if you are using some sort of IDE with loads of different panes.  Your budget more than enough for an i5 so I'd focus on that or an i7, and I would focus on laptops that either have SSDs or upgrade it with one yourself, the performance and robustness improvements are immense.