Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows fails to start  (Read 3116 times)

jusmeyall

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows fails to start
    « on: December 13, 2015, 01:52:01 AM »
    My wife's Compaq desktop shutdown a couple nights ago and I have attempted but failed to make it operational again. It is of course an older machine, a 2007 model, but it still has files that exist only on it's hard drive that she would like retreived if at all possible.
    In my attempts the computer does power on and allow the password to be entered, but then Windows would flash a message that it had detected a problem and shut down to prevent damage, then a blue screen with print appeared and went away before being able to read it.
    I was able to pause a screen titled "Windows Error Recovery" that basically stated a recent hardware or software change might be the cause and gave me the opportunity to click Launch Statrtup Repair, which I did and it flashed :
    Collecting Crash Data...
    Initializing disk for crash dump...
    Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Dumping physical memory to disc (here it rapidly displayed a couple numbers)
    Then it returned to the blue screen again which I was finally able to pause. It basically repeated the message that Windows had shutdown to protect the computer from damage and gave steps to make sure any new software or hardware was installed correctly. It also stated that if the problem continues to remove any new software or hardware, disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing, and how to use Safe Mode to do so. However, there has been no new software or hardware added to disable or remove.

I did think that I could start up in Safe Mode and go to System in the Control Panel to choose a restore point, but the computer never allowed me to get that far. Even when starting in Safe Mode the computer cycles through the "Windows Error Recovery" screen and then to the blue screen again. (At the bottom of the blue screen it has a caption, "technical Information" and displays numbers like this:
    ***Stop: 0x0000000A  (0x000000F0, 0x00000008, 0x00000001, 0x8DC00003)
    However, with each new cycle to the blue screen the Technical Information numbers are different.

Can anyone give me advice on being able to repair and restart the computer please?
    Thanks in advance.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows fails to start
    « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 09:53:50 AM »
    Do you have the original installation media to perform a repair installation or system recovery with option to protect personal data from deletion?

A repair disc or recovery disc is the direction I would go. If you dont have this then you will need to get one.

jusmeyall

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 04:02:04 AM »
      Thanks for the advice Dave.
       I do have a recovery disc that we made when we first started the computer fresh out of the box. I had thought of using the recovery disc, but I have never used one before and I was afraid that it might ditch the files. You mentioned an option to protect personal data, how would I go about discovering if that option is available to me?
       As I said, I have never used a recovery disc before, but I assume playing the disc may give that information?

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 05:40:27 AM »
      Yes running that disc will show you. It wont just boot off the disc and trash your data. You should always be given a menu setup that gives you choices, and one of the choices is always to abort or quit the operation. Generally most have 3 options:

( Full Factory Restoration ) = Wipes out all data and makes the computer back to fresh out of box state when you bought it new.

( Restoration Preserving Personal Data ) = Rebuilds Windows OS and your personal data that is at locations where personal data should reside is left alone... some will keep your installed programs intact as a repair while others will completely replace Windows with a clean install of it.

(Quit ) = Abort out of the restoration process

Some come with an option for:

( Repair Windows ) = Perform only a repair to Windows, do not wipe out installed programs or personal data.

jusmeyall

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 06:59:19 AM »
        Thanks for the fast response Dave!
        I will try the recovery disc later and  post an update afterward. This will make my wife very happy if it works. I look forward to clicking the topic solved box.

jusmeyall

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 07:05:33 PM »
          Help!

Well, I researched HP customer support and decided before doing a system recovery, I would follow their 7 step troubleshooting program for unlocking the computer titled "HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Windows Vista Locks Up, Freezes, or a Blue Screen Error Opens".
          In a nutshell, the steps involved attempts to open Task Manager first with F4 key, then with CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys to find a faulty software program, use system restore both with and without Safe Mode through the F8 key, updating the BIOS through downloads from HP, and the final step if all fails, the HP system recovery.
          The steps to open Task Manager failed to work, continually pressing F8 did pull up the Safe Mode selection, but the computer would not respond to the Enter command; updating the BIOS or drivers wouldn't work because the computer fails to start. Surely the two recovery discs will work then, right?
          The HP directions for system recovery using recovery discs are simple enough as follows:

Use the following steps to recover the computer from a set of recovery discs (either CDs or DVDs):
          1. Turn on the computer, if it is not already on, and insert the first recovery disc labeled #1.
          2. After the first disc is in the drive and the drive is closed, turn off the computer by pressing and holding the power button.
          3. With the computer off, disconnect all connected devices and cables such as the Personal Media Drive, USB drives, printer, and fax. Remove media from drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord.
          4. Turn on the computer. The computer opens the Recovery Manager program.
          5. By default the Recovery Manager will be set to run a System Recovery from the inserted recovery disc. Click Next.
          6. On the screen that prompts for Microsoft System Restore select No, and then click Next.
          7. The Recovery Manager gives you the option of backing up your data files. To do so, read Backing up your files.
          If you do not want to backup your files, select No, and then click Next.
          8. Read and respond to the screens as they appear. If a screen prompts for a disc, insert the next disc. In some cases, you may have to repeatedly insert the same disc several times before the screen allows you to continue.
          9. After the System Recovery is complete, the computer restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup. Then, turn off the computer, reconnect all peripheral devices, and turn on the computer.
          10. Before using the computer, update and protect your computer. Reinstall any virus and security software that was installed before the System Recovery.
          11. Reinstall any software applications that were after purchasing the computer, and any files that were backed up.

However, when my computer powered on with recovery disc 1 the screen showed "Windows gathering files" for a minute and then the screen turned green. I left it on for two hours and nothing changed so I killed the power and tried it again 30 minutes later with the disc still in. The computer "busy" light never flickered, the screen never revealed a message or sign of activity, after an hour I shut it down again.

Does anyone know a way to get the computer to respond to the recovery process that I have not tried? While I am a basically a greenhorn, I am still optimistic and willing to try most any option. Any response is welcome.  :||

jusmeyall

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 07:23:11 AM »
            First, I forgot to include my computer info: The computer is a HP Compaq Presario desktop model SR5025WM-B with 1024 MB PC2-4200 SDRAM and 250 GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA hard drive. There are two system recovery discs that were made from the computer.
            Here's my latest update.
            I powered on the computer with the System Recovery disc 1 still in the tray early this morning and after several minutes had passed a black screen with this message appeared:
             The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

I have no idea what the message means. The recovery discs were made when the computer was new, and should have no reason to be corrupted if that is what the message implies. Anyway, 15 minutes later another message replaced the first one, as follows:
             DBOOT: Cannot boot from CD-Code 1e header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

Does this mean my Recovery discs are no good? Again I have no clue what it means, is there some other way to make an unresponsive computer run a system recovery?

DaveLembke

Sage
            « Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 06:36:49 AM »
            try changing the power supply if still not working maybe the ram or graphic card..

Im thinking its a ill hard drive, however a weak power supply can give the same symptoms when hard drive needs additional power for writing and voltage is weak. Additionally a dirty optical drive can have failed reads, but I am feeling hard drive is my target right now. Would you happen to have a healthy hard drive to install to it to test this out?

RAM problem ..... I dont feel this is the cause.  :-\

Graphic Card Problem ..... Trying to figure out how symptoms are related to a video card.  :-\

jusmeyall

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »
              Hi Dave,
              I hope you had an excellent Christmas holiday.

I have received a suggestion from a HP Support volunteer and would like to ask your opinion on his idea (in the following two paragraphs) which is based on retrieving file data from the system, rather than recovery.

On a system of that age, I would suspect a failure has caused the system to halt.  If the primary goal is to retrieve data, then I would suggest that the System Recovery attempts be halted.  Then, IMHO, purchase of device similar to this: SANOXY A12940 SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable.   
              I prefer the kind that has a separate power supply to power the drive instead of trying to power it from the USB port.  Connect this external SATA adapter to the hard drive of the problem PC.  Now on a different working PC, try to access the drive from the problem PC to retrieve the important data and save it to another place, either a flash drive, DVD or an external drive.  IF Windows happens to be on the new host computer and complains about ownership, there are solutions, but I prefer to then use a Live Linux on a CD boot disk and retrieve the data.  Linux very seldom complains about ownership issues.

I figure if I could pull the data from the hard drive in this way, then I could always put a new hard drive replacement in the Compaq.  I did a little research on the device he recommended and found that several reviewers claimed it caused fires when they used it; however, other reviewers were impressed by it, except for the lack of any LED indicators to show whether the device was reading or writing any data. If I attempt this, I will first search for another similar device that doesn't have fire hazard in its product reviews.
              Does this idea seem feasible?
              If so, can you offer any further advice on how to use such a product?
              Thanks, and if you read this post before 2016 have a
              Happy New Year!!!

Reyes1129144

• Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 05:12:19 PM »
                I changed the hz on my monitor to the highest resolution and now everytime i run my computer to select a user it doesnt show the screen it says input not supported what do i do? Also i have an acer aspire computer that was made in 2008 and an acer monitor with windows vista.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »
                Boot your PC in safe mode.

jusmeyall

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 06:37:14 PM »
                  I did try that several times actually, and I really expected it to work. However, as I mentioned in my original post, even when starting in Safe Mode the computer cycles through the "Windows Error Recovery" screen and then to the blue screen again.

Thanks for the advice Geek,
                  Happy Holidays and Best Wishes for the New Year!!! :D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 07:35:29 PM »
                  Hello,  Jusmeyallm,
                  Let me try to help you. Do you have a backup? Are you familiar with backup methods? Can you make a backup?

Apparently you do have another PC that can get on the Internet. Or maybe it is a tablet.So you have a good Internet service?
                  At this poet you may consider loosing all the data you have on the trouble PC. Unless there is a way to make an emergency backup now.

Le's suppose the problem is just the hard drive,  bothering lee. If so, you can boot the PC C with either a CD or a USB stick. Then you can copy any important files onto a USB flash drive. Or, if you have a network connection, send the data files to a remove server.

Now then, once you have saved whatever data you can, you may attempt to install Vista again from the DVD onto the hard drive. In some cases, a new install repairs errors of the hard drive and gives you a working system with a hard rave that is usable.

Experience has shown that in many cedes hard drive errors can be fixed, but at the risk of losing all of the data that had been saved. That is sway I suggest some kind of data backup, if possible.

Of course, there might be another  problem,. A failing power supp  also can cause a system tog into a endless loop. But not very often.

Thank is the best I can offer.  :)