Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Secure Erase Aborted by the drive  (Read 3325 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Secure Erase Aborted by the drive
« on: December 28, 2015, 09:41:33 PM »
Hey CH

I have a nice SSD, its a Kingston 300V 240Gb SSD that i had in my Old Macbook. I recently upgraded to a beautiful Macbook Pro that has a SSD in it so i figured ill take this one and pop it into my Gaming Tower. This SSD is less then a month old because kingston replaced the one that died so it has about 9 days running time. I Downloaded the kingston utility because i wish to secure erase the SSD to get all the OSX crap off there. I have the disk connected to my machine as a secondary disk, i select operations in the kingston toolbox clock secure erase and try both options "secure erase" or "enhanced secure erase" and both of them start and hit 1% and say "errors encountered during Secure erase operation" output "command is aborted by the drive" I completely even killed off the partitions in the drive and it still has this error. what Gives?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Secure Erase Aborted by the drive
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 05:48:15 AM »
Not sure...but they do have live Chat Tech Support at their site...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 10:05:48 AM »
Ive actually decided to give them a call. They seem to have great customer service. The drive only has about 9 days running time on it and seems to pass all first aid tests fine. So im wondering whats going on. Its connected to SATA number 2 as i wish to secure erase it, then connect it to SATA 1 so it can become my boot drive.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »
It may be doing that since you wiped the partition...you could always use a 3rd party tool...Easus Partition Manager is good...and Free.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 11:41:42 AM »
After speaking with Kingstons technical department they wanted the drive to have no partition, plugged into SATA not USB and they confirmed it was fine and that the issue was my Sata driver was controlled by AMD not microsoft and that sometimes has an issue with their software. They advised me that i should download and try HDDerase. I shall be doing that later.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 04:55:58 PM »
Best of Luck...
Bring us good news...