Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive don't show up and also create's other malfunctions  (Read 4088 times)

Charl99ie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    First of, i want to apologize if this post or the title isn't understandable or logic, my first language isn't English and the Spanish forum's aren't responding.
    Anyway, i have an WD Elements 1048 with 2 TB since almost 2 years (with an USB 3.0) , it worked perfectly until on a vacation trip i connected it on a TV and it didn't show up. Back at home i tried to connect it to my computer (ACER Aspire X3990 with Windows 7, with Intel Core i3 2100, @ 3.10 GHz, 4GB Memory (RAM), using Avast and Malwarebytes) and it also didn't appear (2-3 weeks ago).
    Here are something's that i already tried and observed while trying:

-When i plug it in it make's the sound that it has been connected and also the light on the HD goes on. It also appear's on the eject list but when i try to eject it, it only tell's me that it isn't able to do so.

-It also doesn't appear's on disk management or Device Manager.

I think at one point it did appear on devmgmt and i uninstalled it (because i still couldn't access it. Whenever i clicked on it, it just opened very slowly until it told me that there was an error), but it didn't re-appear since then. I also did a troubleshooting on safe mode and i restore my computer and it still didn't work. I did notice that my memory does disappear like crazy when i connect it, and i guess that's happening because of the computer creating new restore point's every time that i connect it? Could my HD have a virus or something like that?

-I also did a check on WD data lifeguard and everything did appear as okay.

-Whenever i unplug it, my computer tell's me that i have to format the disk before i can use it and when i plug it in again and try it, it tells me that window's cant do it.

Another strange thing is that when i plug my external Hard drive in, the computer start to get slower and my internet after a minute stop working. It happens every time, normally my internet work's perfectly but it just kind of stop's working whenever my hard drive is plugged in (?)

-No reaction from avast or malwarebytes

- I didn't try to connect it to another computer, that's the only thing left to do, and none of my friend's had have the time to help me

Apart from that i really tried everything and i don't know what else i can do on my own to fix it. I have no problem with losing memory aso. i just want to rescue what's left of this external hd
    I hope that this text/post is understandable, i tried my best to tell all of the detail's  :)
    I hope somebody can help me with this issue.
    thank you in advance and greetings from chile

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: External Hard Drive don't show up and also create's other malfunctions
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 10:44:29 PM »
    Hola Amigo,
    Let me try to help you. If you don't know the exact English word, go ahead and stick in the Spanish word that make sense to you some of us here are bilingual and we will try to understand.
    Now in your case it would seem that the hard drive has been damaged when you tried to use it on a TV set.
    If you have important data on the hard drive, you will have to send it to a special company that knows how to recover data from a damaged hard drive.
    I think the hard drive is taking too much power from your computer and causing your computer cannot work reliably.
    Perhaps you know somebody that has a USB hub with power. A USB hub with power can be used to power a device that's taking too much power from the computer.
    However, I don't think that will cure your problem. I think the hard drive has been damaged to the extent that you will not be able to read the data off of it. The mechanical part of the hard drive, the disc and the motor, probably will work okay. But it's the electronic assembly that has been damaged. It is possible to get a replacement for the electronic assembly and replace it yourself. But this may be more than what you are accustomed to do.
    By the way, in what part of the world do you live? In some areas the cost of repair is actually lower than it would be here in the United States. Here in the United States is more economical to just buy a new portable hard drive.
    Of course, you may have data on the hard drive that you wish to recover. That may be difficult or even impossible to do, depending on how much damage was done. I suspect the data is still there but cannot be read because of the damage done to the electronics.

That is the best I can say.
    Eso is todo lo que puedo decirle.

Charl99ie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 06:25:29 PM »
      Muchas Gracias Amigo, i'm going to try to keep my English up the most that i can
      There was (thanks god) nothing really important on that hard drive that i didn't backed up on my computer, so losing the data isn't so terrible
      At one point i thought the same thing about the power affecting the computer, but the problem of where i life is that everything that has to do with electronic is very expensive, at least in official store's. There are a lot of street store's pero yo e tenido mala experiencia con esos. I live in Chile, but in some months i'm going to move to Germany, i hope that i can purchase there electronic stuff in much more cheaper prices. I purchased the disk in Thailand, it was a gift from my father.
      Anyway, thank you a lot for you're help, i guess i learned my lesson about stranger's TVs and hard drive's :D I'm still going to try to buy that USB hub with power and connect it to a different computer, pero yo tambien creo que mi disco ya no tiene solucion :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 07:01:20 PM »
      Bien viaje  ;D