Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Issues after crash  (Read 2744 times)

XDaylon

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Issues after crash
    « on: January 02, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »
        So I was working in InDesign while I had both Photoshop and Illustrator up at the same time, which I know not to do since I only have 4gb of RAM, but I was in a hurry... Anyway, The computer froze, except for my mouse and so I hard rebooted it from the tower, and started up in safe mode to save my documents. It was then that I noticed that all my desktop icons were huge, and my task bar at the bottom was plain white instead of the standard Windows 7 blue, as well as the the border of all my windows were boxy and white instead of the normal blue, furthermore any and all webpages had a white background.

I can live with the task bar and windows being different from the Windows 7 Standard, but I would really like help solving the issue of my webpages being incomplete.

I saved my files and restarted the computer normally. The icons were the same size but problems with the toolbar, window borders, and webpage's continued. My computer crashed again, neither time giving me the "blue screen" but rather simply freezing except for the mouse, thought the second time the mouse wasn't as responsive and the caps lock button did not respond with a corresponding keyboard light. Again I started the computer up normally but all the issues remained.

That was about three weeks ago, and the issues have not resolved themselves. I was hoping that maybe someone here could help me out, or has had a similar problem and could let me know what they did to resolve the issue.

I have attached images of what I'm seeing to help identify the issue, I know it's kind of bad but I'll try to describe it. (Sorry I just used paint) So, what you're looking at is a webpage, and a window I copy pasted on top. As you can see the webpage background is missing, you can check the Yahoo! webpage right now as this is a current screen capture. You can clearly see what is missing. As well as the task bar being white. The window is also not the Windows 7 standard.

Thanks so much for your time!

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Issues after crash
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 06:53:57 PM »
    Your desktop icons are (were?) huge because Safe Mode uses a screen resolution of 800x600 pixels, which is usually lower than the resolution of the monitors/displays people use.

Safe mode also disables all themes. This leaves the "default" theme- Windows Classic. This is why your Windows and Taskbar look different.

Did you adjust any settings while in safe mode? The Personalization Window you pasted shows you are using the Classic theme. Switch it to "Windows 7 Default" which should re-enable themes and Desktop compositing. It's also possible that disk corruption has corrupted the files necessary to use the Aero theme.

When I go to Yahoo in any browser, the background is white. I'm not sure what you expect the background to be. Unless you are referring to the icons that appear next to each link, on the sidebar. It seems to look fine on the test system running Win7 when I booted into Safe mode and used Firefox, unless it is a Firefox configuration option of some sort.

One possible cause of the freezing issue would be that the system drive is failing. Failing Hard Disks tend to hang actions dealing with the disk and then disappear from the system, in my experience. Taxing the system with applications that use more memory than you have in the system will cause a lot of disk swapping, and the disk is being used by low-level memory management processes so it tends to lead to the system hanging if the drive decides to stop cooperating. I've had similar behaviour occur on a few systems and the issues disappeared when replacing the system drive. (And, equally important, no data was lost)
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.