Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2.4 GH processor runs at 1.8GHz speed?  (Read 3978 times)

Andrew Greenlee

2.4 GH processor runs at 1.8GHz speed?
« on: November 18, 2005, 12:33:32 PM »
I've had this computer for a couple years but is still reasonably good to me. runs a 2. 4 intel pentium 4 proc. with room to upgrade to a 2.8 gh. but my os and other diagnostics say its running at a speed of 1.8 gh which is way to slow for not only everday stuff, but I do computer animation, editing and photoshop graphics as well. I never really noticed before cuz i hadn't done much on my own machine. Also always figured i just needed more ram, put the pathetic speed is noticable and i'm pissed off about it. is this a normal translation of speeds for processors by pentium, or is something up? wrong multiplier in bios or sumthin? I'm clueless. I could build a new computer in a few months anyways , but i want to make the best of this one for now and also when i do get a new computer, i want this one to be a back up for rendering and such. so how can i get the most out of a possibly bogus processor?

GX1_Man

Re: 2.4 GH processor runs at 1.8GHz speed?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 02:58:54 PM »
Are your jumpers set correctly on the motherboard or in the BIOS? What kind of computer or motherboard is this?

andy greenlee

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 03:18:25 PM »
i'll have to reply again when i get home from work, its a shuttle motherboard, a company built the computer for me so i assumed it was done right. . .   i've never needed to remove the cpu for anything so i haven't altered any original settings. the company name is cyberpowerpc.com or cyberpowersystems.com.

a g

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 03:57:15 PM »
shuttle AS45GT/R

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 07:41:11 AM »
Set the FSB to the proper speed.

a m g

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 02:29:18 PM »
it was set to 100, i will put it up to 133 for now, but it will let me put it up to 165, is that the top for the processor being used now(2.4) or is that the top speed for the 2.8 processor which the motherboard supports. I just don't want to turn it up all the way if that full 165 setting is meant for a more powerful processor. I don't want to ruin my proc. obviously.

Thanks for you help

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 03:35:28 PM »
What does it show at boot up now? Check that first.

andy greenlee

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 01:01:54 PM »
thanx for all the help,

turns out after getting some new memory, new heatsink and some arctic silver. overheating was taking place. original heatsink was not flush with cpu causing cpu overheating, and probably contributed to an already faulty motherboard. board has been replaced, and the hurting has stopped.