Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Miaght Advanced Micro Devices take a Fall?  (Read 2975 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Miaght Advanced Micro Devices take a Fall?
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:01:45 PM »
AMD has been in Silicon Valley for a long time.They are based in Sunnyvale, CA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Micro_Devices
AMD is the second-largest supplier and only significant rival to Intel in the market for x86-based microprocessors. Since acquiring ATI in 2006, AMD and its competitor Nvidia have dominated the discrete graphics processor unit (GPU) market.[6]
But now this is the headline that might mean the end of AMD.
Can Advanced Micro Devices Inc. Survive 2016?

And other media sites are also picking on AMD.

AMD quarterly results show improvement

When they say 'show improvement',  they are trying to be tactful.
AMD hopes to attract gamers
AMD has revealed the details of its GPUOpen project, through which it hopes to carve a bigger niche for itself in the crowded market for graphics processors in x86 machines.
But I don't think AMD will disappear.  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Miaght Advanced Micro Devices take a Fall?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 04:29:36 PM »
Sadly.... I think AMD is going to die off. I have bought mostly AMD CPU's for the last 12 years since getting an Athlon XP 2800+ in 2004 and being impressed with the performance I got at a discount compared to Intel at the time.

I have stuck around through socket 939, AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, and bought a single AM1 Sempron 3850 Kabini 25 watt quadcore.

My AMD FX8350 4000Mhz 8-core is probably the last AMD I will buy new. Its plenty of processing power and AMD will likely fail before the octo-core needs to be replaced.

When it comes to Intel I have gotten all of those socket 370, 478 and 775 CPUs except for 2 x Pentium E5400 CPUs free or used. I bought into two Pentium E5400 2.7Ghz dual-core builds a while back, but the Pentium E5400's just seemed crippled compared to the AMD Athlon II x2 CPUs I had. The E5400's felt like they were Celerons performance wise and so those systems didnt run for very long before I went back to running AMD CPUs as my main systems. My wife I had given a E5400 and it was just lagging with mutitasking, I downgraded her to a Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz and the system ran better for games than with the Pentium E5400 even though online benchmarks show the Pentium E5400 being better than the Core 2 Duo E6600.