Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: enabling digital cd playback  (Read 3738 times)

Nancy_O

enabling digital cd playback
« on: November 19, 2005, 08:57:37 AM »
I am getting sound from my speakers but I can't get sound form my cd -rom drive.  The drive reads the cd and shows the tracks but I get no sound.  Went nto properties but I don't have the option to enable digital cd audio for this cd drive.  Would it have something to do with updating   cd drive drivers or updating my windows player? I am running win98
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 08:58:15 AM by Nancy_O »

GX1_Man

Re: enabling digital cd playback
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 12:16:03 PM »
What sound card do you have and is it cabled to the CDROM drive?

Nancy O

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 03:25:28 PM »
I have a sound blaster soundcard and yes it is attached to the cd rom but I am not sure if it is attached to the digital or analog connection.

Nancy O

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 03:30:16 PM »
Also to let you know I do have sound when I play a wma file or Mozart file but when I try to play a cda file it says wrong format but when I go into details windows media player does support cda extentions so I don't know what I am doing wrong.  Plus do you know how I can change the format as I know in windows xp you are able to open with....but not in windows 98. thanks!

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 04:01:17 PM »
Some sound blaster cards had 3 possible inputs. One was for CD, but the location on the card changed from time to time. If you have more than one possible connector how are they labeled? What model card? ISA or PCI?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 04:01:54 PM by GX1_Man »

Nancy O

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 04:06:38 PM »
It has input, mike, output & game controller
It is PCI and at this time I don't know the model
on the cdrom there is digital and anolog cable input..

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 04:39:27 PM »
It has input, mike, output & game controller

That is on the back of the card, which shows from the outside of the case. On the front of the card, where all the chips and diodes are are there some input connectors? 3 to be exact? How are they labeled? You may need to take the card out of the machine.