Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SSD installation  (Read 2509 times)

Jokerman

Topic Starter

Beginner

SSD installation
    « on: January 31, 2016, 11:34:30 AM »
    Hi, I am looking to replace my old hard drive with a SSD.  I need to install an OS plus all the programs and our own files, however this will take a long time which my better half isn't keen on.  Can I just unplug the SATA HD, plug in the SSD install what I can (before being moaned at) then swap the drives back, repeating this process until everything is installed?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: SSD installation
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »
    Your other option is to use a drive image app and clone the existing HDD to the SSD...
    I use Acronis...not Free...
    Easus ToDo and Macrium Reflect both have Free versions...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 12:54:46 PM »
    Other than software other method is a drive duplicator. I picked one up for $40, but its because I have a need to take a highly configured system and keep a master drive for it and duplicate its contents into run drives, so as long as the A and B slots dont get confused during the duplication process, I can push a clean copy to a different drive of equal or greater capacity.

If your SSD is smaller capacity than your HDD then this wouldnt work unless you buy a higher end duplicator with sizing features.

Free software options ... Clonezilla is one method for software as well as DD, but if you mess up the process you will destroy all your data.

http://clonezilla.org/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19141/clone-a-hard-drive-using-an-ubuntu-live-cd/

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 07:37:06 PM »
    Free software options ... Clonezilla is one method for software as well as DD, but if you mess up the process you will destroy all your data.

This holds true with any disc cloning app...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jokerman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 03:00:57 AM »
      Hi Guys, thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in answering, I was not able to get into my user account.  This is one of the reasons why I want to have a fresh install , there are other niggling little problems so a fresh install is my best option .