Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive Problem  (Read 1935 times)

Dan Sprogis

External Hard Drive Problem
« on: November 19, 2005, 12:28:14 PM »
Hi I recently bought a Seagate 300 GB external hard drive and I accidentally plugged in the wrong power cord for it.  I plugged in a 4 volt when it was supposed to be a 3.5 volt.  Anyway the hard drive doesnt turn on anymore.  The company said they cannot recover the info on it, so I can either get a new one without all of my work (that I didnt back up cuz im a noob), or I can attempt to get it repaired which will void my warrenty.  The thing is I really need this information that is on this because it has most of my school wokr on it.  Can anyone tell me the possible problems that could be wrong with it and what I could do to repair it?  Or if anyone knows where the schematics of this model is that would help too.

Thanks everyone,

Dan

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: External Hard Drive Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 07:21:05 AM »
Have you tried hooking it up as a slave to see if it spins up and you can retrieve the data ? ?

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dell4700

Re: External Hard Drive Problem
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 12:46:17 AM »
Anything I can recommend will void your warranty too.

Short of conjuring your data by supernatural means, I think you'll have to have it repaired or sent to a data recovery lab (which Seagate just happens to have).  This may or may not be your drive, but there are links here you can use:  http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/external/usbfirewire

It's hard to believe that 1/2 volt would fry your drive.

Don't they put fuses/current limiters on these things any more?

Dell