Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Driver IRQ error?  (Read 3369 times)

SaxMan

Driver IRQ error?
« on: November 19, 2005, 09:19:15 AM »
Hi, I had a friend build me a computer while we were stationed in Korea. It has an ASUS motherboard (A7v8x-x) with a Sempron 2200: 80G Hard drive (can't recall manufacturer); LG CD-RW; and 512 M RAM. Oh, also running Nvidia 5700LE vid card. Am using Windows XP Professional OS.

I have had numerous crashes, blue screens, and even a weird boot loop where it cycled through the motherboard banner (BIOS utility?), DOS startup page, and the Windows XP, ad infinitum.

MS error report suggested that it was a driver error and the blue screen of death keeps showing  the following message: "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

I have done the following (not necessarily in response to the above message):
1) Re-formatted the hard drive and reinstalled most of my software and initiated Windows Update, 2) Uninstalled Windows Service Pack 2, 3) Boot from CD and chose the "repair" option.

In the BIOS setup utility, on the "advanced" page I noticed a red caution message regarding the RAM speed needing to be at least 333MHz, so I changed it from "auto" to "400".

The system seems to have a great deal of trouble with "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic", but I am reluctant to assume it is the game as I had zero trouble with it in Korea. I have already un- and re- installed the game (retained the saved game folder).

As you can see, there are seemingly many variables involved. I am by no means a guru and am baffled by the IRQL error message above.

Any help?

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    Re: Driver IRQ error?
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 10:00:33 AM »
    What USB devices have you installed, and attached to your pc whilst this happens?

Try updating all drivers form the manufacturuers website.
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 01:28:12 PM »
      I'd give it a physical hardware check, the move from Korea may have dislodged a card or a plug.
      Reset your bios ram setting back to auto.
      Test the ram with memtest.
      Check your supply voltage settings are correct.
      « Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 01:29:21 PM by Fed »

SaxMan

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 07:16:00 PM »
      Thanks for the suggestions...where can I find "memtest"?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 07:24:51 PM »