Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer repair business tips  (Read 3465 times)

scomputer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer repair business tips
    « on: February 23, 2016, 02:02:33 PM »
    Hey guys, so what are some tips you would give for starting a computer repair business? Is buying and reselling computers a good option? And where would we buy these computers cheap enough to make money? Any tips help

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer repair business tips
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »
    Your at the tail end of this market... I feel as though I feel like the old TV repair man these days as for computers are so cheap any more that most people buy new.

Reselling used is a tricky business. Can you make money .. yes ... but most people want new and the Chrome books and cheap laptops are making the used laptop market really weak unless its rated for gaming etc.

Money I make these days is not so much in computer hardware repairs anymore as much as it is in Data Recovery Services. If you are able to get peoples data back, that is where the money is.

Other area where money is made these days is with software development and writing software to join one application with another. These days its mostly applications that write to a database in which you bridge the two applications together to a single database, whereas both initially ran stand alone etc.

Money can also be made in getting computers free or cheaply and yanking the mainly CPU and RAM out of them and selling these items. They are light and so shipping isnt bad. DDR3 memory brings good money as well as 4GB DDR2 sticks for those who for example have a motherboard with only 2 memory slots and the mother board will max out on 8GB, they are looking for the 4GB sticks. 2GB sticks also sell pretty well for those who have older boards that max out on 8GB that have 4 slots. Sticks lesser that 2GB for DDR2 dont sell well because people who want to max out their memory and save money are going for maximum memory sticks to achieve the maximum and very rarely is someone looking for 4 x 1GB sticks for 4GB RAM anymore.

CPUs can bring anywhere from $3.00 for a Celeron or Sempron CPU to $55-70 for a Core 2 Quad or Phenom II x6 that is in demand. CPUs for sale for less than $15 I dont bother selling on ebay. Ebay and Amazon are good places to sell used parts with ebay better because you have those who look for auctions about to end and so you might get a bid last minute for a low demand item and sell it for the minimum your listed it for etc.

If your fortunate to get a DOA system with a  i3, i5, i7 or modern AMD FX series CPU in it free or dirt cheap and if the motherboard is shot but RAM and CPU are still good, thats easy money right there because these are in demand.

Some power supplies, and hard drives, and video cards bring money as well as specific motherboards. The cases and optical drives are all trash with no market unless you get a nice gaming case that isnt beat up to resell, but shipping is a killer!

Money can also be made in really old collectible computers like an old IBM 5150 etc.

Lastly location, advertising, and gaining peoples trust in your skills to get a name for yourself that is a good one is everything in a service business.

The computer repair business has considerably slowed. You might make some extra money here and there, but there is not enough work in my area to do it full time and survive. Maybe your location will be better, but its going the way of the TV Repair Guy for service involving hardware repairs and the money really now is in people who desperately want their pictures or movies back or business database back that they were lazy and didnt do backups with so they are desperate for their data and you get paid well if your able to save their bottom.  ;D

You might make better money running a computer salvage yard if you can get new enough computers cheap to parts out. I find it so much easier selling used parts than a complete used system!  :)

Unfortunately I dont have a good source of dead computers to pick over though and sell CPU and RAM and recycle the rest.  ;D Additionally in some areas its not free to dispose of computer waste and you have to pay by computer a flat fee or by weight to get rid of them. I will gut a system and throw the metal cases and plastic away for free and then bad motherboards I just pay by weight to get rid of and its not that bad or I wait for the annual recycle (earth) day and unload it all for free.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 02:36:59 PM »
    A possible idea.
    Offer to provide service contract with individuals or firms. Buy some computers that just went off-lease from Dell or HP. Then lease these to lour clients with a contract. Include some kind of cloud backup serve.

scomputer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »
      Thanks guys, these are really good tips and true. With my beginner experience i have only had a few calls with advertising. Mostly virus removal and Bad HDDs. Easy do do in spare time but not a full time job for sure. Maybe i can find a way to make a full time job some day.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 07:32:16 PM »
      Most important thing I would say for anyone starting a PC business is to actually know what you are doing before you start working on people's PCs.  I see so many businesses that look like someone thought "I upgraded my RAM once, I can run a business" and they end up damaging machines, misdiagnosing problems and generally causing a mess.

I've had to clean up after people like this before, it's not fun telling someone that they wasted their money by replacing their computer because someone told them it was beyond repair when in actual fact the machine was repairable by clearing the CMOS.

As far as buying and selling machines goes, it can be done but the profit margins aren't huge unless you are getting the machines for next to nothing or charging far too much for them.  New PCs now are becoming ridiculously cheap so you may find it hard to undercut them with the used ones.  I've certainly had several bargains in the past with getting machines cheap and then made money by refurbishing them and selling them on but this is not remotely consistent enough to be suitable for anything more than a hobby. In order to turn a reasonable profit you will have to turn around a lot of maxhines very quickly.