Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ccleaner operation  (Read 3697 times)

queball

ccleaner operation
« on: November 21, 2005, 03:56:28 PM »
downloaded ccleaner due to major issue with spyware but never really got it working.  installed on win 98 (PII) but when i run the analyze function, no items get displayed?  am i reading more into this than there is?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: ccleaner operation
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 04:07:38 PM »
    queball.....This is what is does ........what is it your trying to achieve ?

Cleans the following:
    Internet Explorer
    Temporary files, URL history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat.  

Firefox
    Temporary files, URL history, cookies, download history.
    Windows
    Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.  

Registry cleaner
    Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more... also comes with a comprehensive backup feature.  

Third-party applications
    Removes temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from many apps including Opera, Media Player, eMule, Kazaa, Google Toolbar, Netscape, MS Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and many more...  

This app isn't a antispyware .
    It does a good job of cleaning out the things listed above .......What spyware apps are you using ?

let us know
    dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

queball

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 04:23:44 PM »

yes but i should think that the right hand side pane which shows the progress bar on top should display items that it finds.  mine is always blank but i really don't think that should be the case. even disccleanup in windows shows something.  this is with the Windows tab selected.  the application tab shows items as well as the "issues" scan....so am i just being overly *censored*?..thanks by the way for your help.  i'm fairly conversent with a lot of stuff but the much of the bacground stuff is new to me, but i'm trying to get better.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 04:46:15 PM »
      queball........what happens if you open ccleaner ...and when it opens ........you click on "Issues" on the upper left side .......and then click on scan for issues down at the bottom just left of center ?

It's possible that if you already emptied your temp internet files and the like that nothing will show up when you run the cleaner part .
      BTW which version of ccleaner are you using ?

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

queball

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 05:12:14 PM »
      thanks dl65...tried it on my other system and got some items.  much like you say temp files were already gone on the first puter i tried it with.  using version 1.25 i believe (from download.com)

anyways  works nicely it seems.  but maybe one question.  if you make a back up of the registry, how do you restore it?...haven't figured that out yet...only  a matter of time but if ya feel like it ...clue me in..

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 06:47:57 PM »
      It's possible it accomplishes the cleanup so fast a progress bar doesn't show up...
      On my system when i press Clean it says done.

BTW there is an online Help link on the lower left side of the CCleaner window but here is the answer to your registry question:

Does it clean all the user accounts on the computer or just the current one?

At the moment CCleaner supports cleaning the current user's account only. This may change in a future release.
      Do I need to be an administrator to run this?

Ideally yes. Although you can still run this as a normal or restricted user, however, some files may not be deleted.
      How do I select all issues on the Issues list?

Right-click to bring up the menu. ;)
      How do I restore registry backups?

Right-click on the .REG file created and select 'Merge'.
         By default these files will be saved into your 'My Documents' folder.
      When I run the program it closes during cleaning. Why?

There is an option to close the program after cleaning. This may be checked in the Options section.

patio.  8_
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "