Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading older hardware woes..  (Read 2442 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Upgrading older hardware woes..
« on: March 09, 2016, 10:18:41 PM »
Greetings Friendly CH members!

For MONTHS ive been trying to figure out which machine to use for classic games.. Ive narrowed it down to a nice Abit ABX-BX6 motherboard, a 500Mhz Celeron, 512mb SD ram ati rage pro Turbo AGP GPU..

Issue is the hard drive.. ive only a few IDE drives left and i was looking at alternatives.. I came across many youtubers such as the 8-bit guy stating that you can use a IDE to SD card and use SD cards as a hard drive storage... Issue is (as he also outlines) an SD card has a limited read/write.. He mentioned about disabling the page file for the SD card.. Would doing that decrease the amount of writes to the drive and if so how would one do that in say windows 98SE?

Thanks guys.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Upgrading older hardware woes..
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 07:36:48 AM »
I have tried one of those SATA to SDCards as a cheap SSD like alternative. Problems I ran into is that it only worked for Linux and Microsoft Windows refused to install to it.

I'd just pick up a cheap used IDE HDD if you need one and dont have one. For Win 98 a small HDD would probably do such as a 8GB. It all depends on what you will be running for games.

Also to mention socket 370 CPUs are cheap. You might be able to upgrade it to the better Pentium 3 for around $10 off of amazon or ebay. It would also open up your game selection for older games that may have been too demanding for a celeron, but Pentium 3 was perfect for them without lag. The 66Mhz FSB Celerons I try to avoid and go with a 100Mhz  or 133Mhz FSB Pentium 3 if the motherboard supports it.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 07:02:41 PM »
Hi Comda

There is IDE to SATA converters , they plug into the IDE port on the motherboard and have a power socket for powering the board.

This is just an example
   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-PATA-IDE-TO-Serial-ATA-SATA-Interface-Hard-Drive-HDD-Adapter-Converter-/251875957235?hash=item3aa4fa19f3:g:ngoAAOSw9N1VsPTy

Then you would be able to use any sata drive in the computer. There will be partition limitations with Windows 89.
If you do want to use an sdcard then you would turn off windows swap file. With 512mb of memory windows  shouldn't need to use the swap file and you could therefore leave it turned on.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 08:56:44 PM »
Windows 89 ? ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
I have tried one of those SATA to SDCards as a cheap SSD like alternative. Problems I ran into is that it only worked for Linux and Microsoft Windows refused to install to it.

I'd just pick up a cheap used IDE HDD if you need one and dont have one. For Win 98 a small HDD would probably do such as a 8GB. It all depends on what you will be running for games.

Also to mention socket 370 CPUs are cheap. You might be able to upgrade it to the better Pentium 3 for around $10 off of amazon or ebay. It would also open up your game selection for older games that may have been too demanding for a celeron, but Pentium 3 was perfect for them without lag. The 66Mhz FSB Celerons I try to avoid and go with a 100Mhz  or 133Mhz FSB Pentium 3 if the motherboard supports it.

Ive looked on Ebay for a few, but sadly whatever is cheap to me hits me again in shipping. For what ill be doing i know 500MHz Celeron is just fine. I was able to play most of my games using a beat to heck IBM A20m thinkpad that featured a 500Mhz Celeron, 128mb Ram, 12Gb hard drive and an AGP 2x - ATI RAGE Mobility M - 4 MB SDRAM.

I'd still be using the IBM but it was given to me because the right side is completely missing not only the plastic that kept the hinge together, but part of the plastic surrounding the rear. From what i was told, it was thrown from the bed where the user left it.

The games i plan to play on the machine are as follows: GTA 2, the DOOM series, Jazz Jackrabbit, Titanic: Adventure of out Time, Re-Volt, prince of persia (original dos) and Dyna Blaster as well as some later Microsoft games such as Monster Truck madness, Mid-town madness 2, NFS porshe 2000, Toca tourning cars 2 and a few other titles im sure im missing... 

Also ive seen many youtubers like Druaga1 install windows on CF cards.. the 8-bit guy did too. i might stick to a 40GB IDE then or maybe get a IDE TO SATA.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:38:22 PM by comda »