Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 upgrade from Vista discs  (Read 3313 times)

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Windows 7 upgrade from Vista discs
    « on: March 17, 2016, 12:29:01 PM »
    I've just seen in a local charity shop cd rack what appears to be a genuine Windows 7 upgrade for XP/Vista pack - 2 cds (32 + 64 bit) - brand new looking, with the product key and other info stickers on the pack box, which has been opened (seal broken).  I'm wondering if this is legal to buy and install - would it need MS registration or ok?  I know there are lots of counterfeits around.  Comments and advice appreciated.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 7 upgrade from Vista discs
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 01:30:14 PM »
    Its a gamble if it will work. It might be flagged as a bad key with microsofts database, especially if the key is out in the open for someone to snapshot the key with their camera and not even buy the upgrade at the store and multiple people try to illegally use the key.

The problem is that legally it was used against a prior system. Once that happens its suppose to remain with that specific system.

Its probably genuine, but the problem is that if the system is still in use that the Windows 7 was used to upgrade and then you buy it and then upgrade yours, then there are 2 systems running on the same key which is illegal.

Also they should be DVDs and not CD's and have the Hologram, although the Chinese have gotten better at fakes to have a hologram added to the discs which is washed out looking.

I wouldnt buy it

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 03:21:55 PM »
    It's a bit of a risk so I wouldn't spend a lot on it, that said, even if it doesn't work, the money is going to a charity.  There's nothing wrong with retail upgrade being moved to a different system (only OEM copies are tied to hardware) however it should have been removed from the system it was running on previously - That's the main risk here, you don't know if it is still installed on the previous owner's machine.  In the end it depends how much it costs and whether you are happy to take the risk.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 01:07:35 PM »
      Thanks for replies.
      They were DVDs, with the hologram by the outer rim (it was their sparkle that caught my eye!).  Having looked at what is involved in the installation process, and my limited PC knowledge, I don't think I'll risk messing up my present system.
      Interesting subject, though - the legality of buying something whose original owners are unknown.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 03:57:03 PM »
      Interesting subject, though - the legality of buying something whose original owners are unknown.

With a Operating systems Key that is like a VIN I suppose if it was ever actually registered vs just activated Microsoft would know. An inquiry to a key with Microsoft would likely black list that key though.

Thank Goodness for no annual town/state registration fees and no bill of sale needed to legally own and use a computer like a car. If computers were taxed like automobiles in my state of New Hampshire for annual registration fees I'd probably be still sporting a Pentium 3. New Hampshire btw has a luxury tax system on autos where you pay heavily on registration fees the first 3 to 5 years of the auto's life, and then its depreciative in the cost for older automobiles until you get to a rock bottom fee based on weight and axles etc. I held out as long as I could with having to buy a new car. Drove a 1997 Mazda 626 and 1998 Honda Civic EX VTEC. Bought them when they were about 9 years old ( both of them southern cars that never seen much salt with Mazda from North Carolina and Honda a once stolen car from Florida. The Mazda 626 died due to rust rot of New England salt bath 5 months of every year at 15 years old and 6 of the years exposed to heavy salt, and the Honda Civic is 18 years old and might not make its way to the road again due to rot after its been exposed for 9 years to heavy salt bathing. When the brake lines and fuel lines rotted out after 17 years I was forced to get into a lease on a 2016 Hyundai Elantra and while I like the Elantra a lot. The state really liked getting me for almost $500. The 1997 Mazda was $103 a year and 1998 Honda Civic was like $114 a year. This year when the registration runs out it will be another $400-$500 registration. The Honda I just need to patch it up of holes, replace fuel line, and then try to sell it for $1000 to some kid that wants a VTEC Civic 2 door with plenty of power still at the wheels who will likely put low profile wheels on it a huge muffler tip and sound system that exceeds the vehicles worth by about $2000. Already replaced the brake lines in it and then winter struck in which its too cold to work on cars out doors.

But in a state with no income tax, I guess they have to get money from some other means. State motto is "Live Free or Die" ... the state is not that bad compared to others, but they get you with luxury taxation on your property.

Ending it here since its gone off subject slightly...  ;D