Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: More Dedicated Video Ram  (Read 2852 times)

commissar197

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    More Dedicated Video Ram
    « on: March 17, 2016, 06:39:54 PM »
    Hi,
          I just got a new computer, like 3 hours ago, this computer would be perfect for most of my games but it's lacking in dedicated video ram. Apparently, people can increase theirs by changing stuff in BIOS, but I can't enter it. I power off, then on, and I've tried pushing all the F#'s and ctrl+alt+enter and just pressing Del, but none of them get me to it. How can I get to the BIOS, if it's even posssible?
    Specs:
    Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
    Manufacturer   Intel
    Speed   2.9 GHz
    Number of Cores   2
    Video Card 1   Intel(R) 4 Series Internal Chipset
    Manufacturer   Intel
    Chipset   Intel(R) 4 Series Internal Chipset
    Dedicated Memory   64.0 MB
    Total Memory   1.7 GB
    Video Card 2   Intel(R) 4 Series Internal Chipset
    Manufacturer   Intel
    Chipset   Intel(R) 4 Series Internal Chipset
    Dedicated Memory   64.0 MB
    Total Memory   1.7 GB
    Memory   4.0 GB
    Operating System   Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
    Service Pack   1
    Size   64 Bit
    Edition   Professional
    Display Maximum Resolution   1920 x 1080
    DVD   HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N
    CD   HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N
    Drive   
    Size   139.3 GB
    Free   123.4 GB

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: More Dedicated Video Ram
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 07:56:22 PM »
    New Used I am guessing based on fact that the hardware is a Core 2 Duo... hopefully you paid less than $100 for that system.

Is it a HP or Dell or what brand and model Number or is it a custom build system you bought from someone?

If its a custom built system the make/model# of motherboard would help such as ASUS P61Q-X7S

Additionally the Integrated Video is Shared Memory with System Memory. You would get far better performance from a $30 video card added such as a AMD Radeon HD 5450 or nVidia GeForce GT 430 instead of integrated video. I wouldnt put any high end video cards into that system because its either PCIE 1.1 or 2.0 and modern cards are 3.0 and beyond and overkill when paired up with the old CPU. The CPU will be a bottleneck to a modern video card although the AMD and nVidia cards I listed would be a good match and low cost as well as can be added without a power supply upgrade if the power supply is at least 350 watts.

The integrated video might max out at only 128MB. If your lucky it will max out at 256MB. But this system is 7 years old or older. The CPU that is 7 years old could be paired with a motherboard that is older if this was upgraded by prior owner or mixed parts system.

I'd add a dedicated video card vs using integrated. Integrated performance will be poor.