Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DSL Wireless Desktop  (Read 2663 times)

Emily Something

DSL Wireless Desktop
« on: July 28, 2004, 01:50:16 PM »
I just got a new computer for college, but I don't know how to connect it to the internet. We have a DSL wireless router, do I need a network card or something? I don't have a phoneline in my room.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: DSL Wireless Desktop
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 05:39:52 PM »
    Emily Something........Yup , you have hit the nail on the head .......you will require a wireless network adapter in your computer.
    This will give you a better idea about what you want to do.
    http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/reference/wireless1.html

dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 05:43:14 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

madmax0690

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 09:39:38 AM »
    Emily,

is your computer a laptop or a desktop? Does your DSL company provide a router? A modem? Does it have wireless capability? These questions need to be answered before you purchase a network card. Do you need wireless access? If you do not have DSL in your room you will want to run an extension for your phone to this room or use wireless. Be careful of security issues if using wireless. You can send me messages directly if you need more info on setting up DSL for your computer. You can also call tech support for configuration info.

johnwill

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 02:34:47 PM »
    It would help to know what exact make/model of laptop you have, since many new laptops come with wireless capability built-in.  If not, you need an 802.11b/g card, I'd go for the 802.11g card.