Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: T-Mobile and You Tube partner.  (Read 3602 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
T-Mobile and You Tube partner.
« on: March 19, 2016, 12:15:35 PM »
This is news. Just now, this week,  You Tube and stream over T-Mobile at full speed with no adverse impact on data usage.

Note:This is about using Internet over a 43G network. It is not able cable or DSL.

Here is the link:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/17/11253544/youtube-t-mobile-binge-on
Also, the other major carries have responded to this innovation.
See here:
http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-att-flatly-deny-legeres-claims-they-provide-lower-resolution-netfli/2016-03-18

BTW: I am using T-Mobile while I write this. Yes, Netflix works fine on my tab-fone.  Bu when I try to tether, hot spot, my other things, the speed drops to  slow.
But do not expect this on the enty level $30 plan. You haveto pay near double to get enough bandwidth.
In this context, bandwidth is not about data speed. It means the accumulated data transfer over a 30 day period. A gigabyte i never enough. You need 10 or 20 Gigabyte. Now they will let you stream Netflix ans some others, but anything else eats up your bandwidth. Like Facebook.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: T-Mobile and You Tube partner.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »
How can it be no adverse impact if it's gonna cost more to work ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 07:32:09 PM »
How can it be no adverse impact if it's gonna cost more to work ? ?
Good point.
To conserve data usage a video should be sent at a low resolution. But some object that the lower resolution would make some videos ugly. Here is a story from ABC news.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/youtube-now-mobiles-binge-earlier-spat-37721937
YouTube Now on T-Mobile's 'Binge On' After Earlier Spat

Now it you like to watch movies in low resolution, you can use the lower cost data plan.Read over the article. Low resolution, no problem.

Not mentioned in  the article is the fact that the 'Hot Spot' feature of any smartphone might not be compatible with the T-Mobile data plan. You have to ask a local technician.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:45:28 PM by Geek-9pm »

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 07:54:57 PM »
There is more...

Verizon, AT&T flatly deny Legere's claims that they provide lower-resolution Netflix video than T-Mobile
March 18, 2016 | By Colin Gibbs
T-Mobile (NYSE:TMUS) CEO John Legere once again took a swipe at the competition, saying both Verizon (NYSE: VZ) and AT&T (NYSE: T) deliver lower-resolution video from Netflix than T-Mobile's Binge On provides. But the nation's two largest carriers say he's wrong.

"Did you know that when you watch Netflix on T-Mobile you get it at 480p?" Legere asked during a video T-Mobile posted yesterday announcing the addition of YouTube and other content partners to Binge On. "And the duopoly is actually delivering your Netflix content at 360p. I'll bet you didn't know that. Go check; it's true."

T-Mobile has come under fire for degrading and throttling video content for users of Binge On, which enables users to watch content without having an impact on their monthly data allotments. (The operator maintains that it "optimizes" video to ease traffic on the network while still delivering quality content.)
http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-att-flatly-deny-legeres-claims-they-provide-lower-resolution-netfli/2016-03-18

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 05:20:59 AM »
Turns out Netflix is the culprit...

Full Story...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter