Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Spyware removal  (Read 3934 times)

CassiusAugusta

Spyware removal
« on: November 23, 2005, 06:25:38 PM »
Hi! I worked as a tech about a year ago, and then went onto other things, and now am working as a tech again.

I know there were a few malware/spyware/hijacks that couldn't be removed with the spyware removal programs such as AdAware, SpyBot, SpySweeper, etc as they had modified some important reg keys and when removed would cause more troubles.

I've read around in the forums and the mainpage to try and find a list of current issues to beware, but I haven't found anything.

If you'd help me out and throw out some ones to watch out for, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanx.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Spyware removal
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 07:29:13 PM »
    CassiusAugusta........
    Hi! I worked as a tech about a year ago, and then went onto other things, and now am working as a tech again
     Then you should know the drill. The writers of adware and malware ....create this stuff .....the software people modify their scanners to catch it .......and so it goes.......
    Trojans and hijackers are possibly the worst around right now ........the best you can do is ..........always have a good updated anti-virus running........If your O/S supports it have M/S antispyware Beta on the job.
    Ewido ..is another good app for sorting out trojans .....and....... hijackthis is a must .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

CassiusAugusta

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 08:04:59 AM »
    Thanks for the quick reply.

But you seemed to answer something I don't think I asked: let me rephrase ;D

I don't remember which ones, but there were a few items that shouldn't have been removed when found with AdAware/Spybot/etc. If you removed them with those programs, they would inevitably screw up your OS because the spyware had attatched itself to some crucial reg keys, and the Anti-spyware program would remove those reg keys as well. Those particular ones I would remove manually (or by other means).

I'm wondering if there's still some spyware I should be weary of removing within the programs, or when I do an out-of-body scan (throwing the hdd into a diff computer to scan).

Thanks again!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 12:34:13 PM »
      CassiusAugusta.....Ok.....I understand what it is your inquiring about......I have never found Ad-Aware SE to remove anything which wasn't necessary to remove....and have never had a situation where it removed something that was required . Spybot on the other hand ....does a good job as well , but if for example the machine had say "flashget installed " and it wasn't a duly licensed install , Spybot would remove components which would render it unusable......( So you should get into the habit of checking each item to be removed just to be 100% sure ) M/S Antispyware Beta ....seems to do an excellent job .....and have never run into any issues when using it . Ewido security suite is another good one ...and again have never had any issues with what it may find .  Hijackthis .......also is a very useful and powerful tool , but it is one which I wouldn't suggest if the user isn't comfortable using. ( removing the wrong thing could create issues) ....Now after saying these things , most of these apps will allow you to create a backup...just in case something which is required has been removed .  I use the scanners I have mentioned on a regular basis ......( and have cleaned 100s of machines ) ...and I can only recall having a issue with 2 pcs..........

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Champion_Munch

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 05:34:43 PM »
      HijackThis is a very powerful utility that will find most malware infections on a machine. However, because of it's aggresive nature, you should NEVER attempt to remove anything with the program yourself. There are a number of trained spyware experts at certain forums around the place that will assist you with removal instructions with HijackThis.

This particular computer forum doesn't seem to have a dedicated HijackThis removal section, but there are many other fantastic places to visit, like -

PCPitstop
      TeMerc's Internet Countermeasures
      SpywareWarrior

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but if you are concerned at all about removing with any other utility, I would post a HJT log in one of those forums and get the HJT analysis experts to assist you. :)

with regards

CassiusAugusta

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 05:49:01 PM »
      Thanks for the info. Sounds like either the spyware's gotten less malicious or the programs have gotten better at removal.

Champion_Munch

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 05:55:48 PM »
      I'd say that malware is becoming more malicious. ;D

HijackThis will not always find everything....but the main issue is the small number of people who are qualified to assess HJT logs. Most forums that have HJT analysists are overrun by the number of people coming with logs to analyse. It can take several days before someone replies to a post because of this shortage.

with regards

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 04:30:04 AM »
      Another option is to either run Linux as a dual boot for Internet use or run a live CD (if you don't mind the speed hit) for Internet use,if nothing else. You will spend NO time (or money) installing, updating and doing spyware/adware/virus removal. Your surfing will be so safe, you will wonder why you didn't try it sooner.

I know it's not for everyone, but it is another solution.  :o

CassiusAugusta

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 10:26:20 AM »
      GX1_Man - that's not really an option with customer computers. For myself, I am generally a safe surfer. I use Firefox and I wipe my system after about 10 mos. of use. I periodically scan with spyware removal programs (whatever I feel like using) but generally don't have much.

Thanks tho - I'm not willing to go that far off the deep end yet.