Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: active partition  (Read 2091 times)

walter

active partition
« on: November 24, 2005, 08:17:20 AM »
i have two hard drives on the system, one with w.98se and the other with xp pro. the active partition is on w98.  I would like to know if it is possible to make one of the two partitions on the xp drive into the active partion without damaging the operating system. I will then delete w 98. thx in anticipation.walter.

GX1_Man

Re: active partition
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 08:47:14 AM »
Well this is a backaward way of doing it if you are using XP Pro and done with 98. You can edit the boot.ini file and make XP the booting O/S then delete the other, but it will never be the C Drive.

I would format the C Drive, and just reinstall XP there. Then you have a whole spare drive.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 08:47:28 AM by GX1_Man »

Mac

Active partition
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 01:20:55 PM »
Well I would do a clean install if it were me. But you could make XP the boot default OS and then erase '98.

You could possibly shrink the '98 drive and extend the Extended partition then slide the XP drive down to the 'front' of the hard disk and put in another Logical partition.

Do you intend to dual boot in future?

If so you might like to look at using BootIT NG which also has a Partition Resizer.