Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Should I buy a new HDD?  (Read 2945 times)

yw10

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Should I buy a new HDD?
    « on: April 04, 2016, 11:07:01 PM »
    It's been months since I've been receiving "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" error and I don't know exactly why. This error occurs minimum 2-3 times a week and the only solution I find to remove is to wait for sometime and restart my computer again and again for at least 5-6 times. Now I'm a bit confused that whether this problem is associated with my HDD only or some other hardware too.

Also, even if my computer starts and works in its normal phase it lags a LOT! even with programs like Chrome.

PC Specs:
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    HardDisk: 500 GB

I basically use my computer for video editing with softwares like AfterEffects, Premiere pro etc.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Should I buy a new HDD?
    « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:54:48 AM »
    Hi
    You could check the hard drive with  HDtune pro trial from here  http://www.hdtune.com/
    First check the hard drive health anything highlighted in red is of concern .
    If everything in the health list is ok. Run the bench mark that will show how fast the hard drive is reading over the whole surface of the disks.
    If you are going to need to replace the hard drive  consider downloading a copy of EaseUS Todo Backup Free 9.1 from here

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

This will help you backup or copy the hard drive

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan