Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Affordable software to create certificates?  (Read 3818 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Affordable software to create certificates?
« on: April 10, 2016, 02:07:44 PM »
  I'm a member of a support group which gives members certificates of completion for achievements and we needed someone with a computer and printer to create these. I volunteered, so now I need whatever software is suited for this. I have no experience doing anything like this but I can learn. For now I would like to have the templates already designed so I can just enter the information specific to our groups needs and I would like to include an image from a file on my PC. Any suggestions that are affordable?

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Affordable software to create certificates?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 05:24:10 PM »
Do you have any word processing software installed.  Some have templates already installed or ones that you can download online.
"Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 06:19:13 PM »
I don't have anything but viewing software such as MS Word Viewer.
 I did find 'Certificate templates' @ on Office.com here:
https://templates.office.com/en-in/Certificates

then I can edit / add content with Powerpoint Online after logging into my Microsoft account.

This works fine but I'm having an issue with the printed image not filling out the page completely. Is the white border in the attached image due to my formatting or will my printer just not print all the way to the edge? I can't cut the finished printed page since I need it to be frame-able.

Thanks for the reply Rustys!

What free software should I use to edit .PDF files? And can I solve this border issue with it?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 07:37:36 PM »
Once you have gotten all the information in there.  Lets try this save the file and open on your computer as the PDF.

Tell it to print look to the Left side of the print window and select Fit under paper size and handling.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 07:49:40 PM by Rustys »
"Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 12:38:07 PM »
I'm having an issue with the printed image not filling out the page completely.
Not all printers will print to the edges of the paper. This is called 'bleed' printing.  With desktop printers, you can do bleeds with some types of documents such as business cards but for larger documents that use a full sheet of paper (of whatever size your printer handles) you may not be able to have a bleed. The printer needs to be able to grip the paper along the edges to feed it through the printer. This leaves a non-printing area around the edges.

I do not see a mention of your printer make and model.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 04:05:22 PM »
Not all printers will print to the edges of the paper. This is called 'bleed' printing.
Right. So lyou trim the edge of the certificate with a blade cutter, the kin used in print shops. It is called a paper trimmer. These can be privy. The alternative is to use a undersized paper to force the printing to the edges.

You can edit PDF on line with Google. Or see this:
https://www.foxitsoftware.com/

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 05:40:19 PM »
My printer is an HP Deskjet 2540.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-2540-All-in-One-Printer-series/5295960/model/5295961/manuals

As seen in the attached screen shot I have "fit" selected (circled in black), letter selected in paper size (circled in green), don't know why it shows '97%' (circled in blue), but it still prints with a space in the end border just like shown on the printer set-up box (circled in red).
 I haven't seen anything in the printer owners manual that gives a solution to this. Maybe my printer does not do 'bleed printing' to 8.5 x 11 paper on one end but it does accept wider paper and the scanner deck also accepts longer / wider documents (if that means anything?).

Thanks Geek, I found a PDF editor.  :)
I need the page to be full size 8.5x11" in order to fit a frame if the recipient chooses to frame the certificate.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 05:43:47 PM »
add attachment 2nd atttempt

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 09:41:28 AM »
Not all printers will print to the edges of the paper. This is called 'bleed' printing.  With desktop printers, you can do bleeds with some types of documents such as business cards but for larger documents that use a full sheet of paper (of whatever size your printer handles) you may not be able to have a bleed. The printer needs to be able to grip the paper along the edges to feed it through the printer. This leaves a non-printing area around the edges.

I do not see a mention of your printer make and model.

My HP Deskjet 2540 is not "bleed printing" capable. It doesn't even have the 'border' adjustment enabled for this particular HP model. I transferred my certificate files to flash drive then took it to my friends business printer and they print just fine with proper borders. Since he is also a member of our group, it will be no problem for me to use his printer rather than me having to buy one that is "bleed printing capable.
 So I'm good and thanks everyone for the help!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 04:01:22 PM »
Right. So lyou trim the edge of the certificate with a blade cutter, the kin used in print shops. It is called a paper trimmer. These can be privy. The alternative is to use a undersized paper to force the printing to the edges.

You can edit PDF on line with Google. Or see this:
https://www.foxitsoftware.com/

No offense Geek...but you shouldn't be havin a blade cutter around...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "