Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New build - initial boot problems  (Read 6485 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: New build - initial boot problems
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 06:59:13 PM »
Here is an allegation.

Amazon suppresses PS4 sales

That is not about motherboards, but about full units sold to work out of the box.
According to a NeoGAF thread, Amazon Customer Support reports that Sony has halted production on the system until they can address the issues arising with the sold units. Amazon sellers who log in and attempt to sell a PS4 are confronted with a message that “the ability to create a listing for this item has been restricted.” So much for all those folks hoping to jump in and sell their couple extra systems for a quick buck on the website. Many people are still selling their systems on eBay, though likely not for the premium price they hoped for; yesterday units were selling for $600 or over a piece; now many auctions are ending the $450-$500 rang
At best, this only reflates what the 'Big Boys' in the electronics industry might do to protect their reputation. What smaller companies might do is hard to say.
So. this is just for what it is worth. Give up n every finding DOA reports from vendors. But if they let you RMA, be happy with that.   :-X

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: New build - initial boot problems
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 07:31:04 PM »
Not sure why you'd want the SATA ports at 90 degrees to the board (if I'm reading this right) - there's potential for them to block expansion cards and it makes cable management much more difficult.  I guess it depends on your case to a certain extent but I've never felt the need to remove a board from a case to insert SATA cables into a board with "front-facing" or right angled ports, whatever it's easiest to call them.

My motherboard has the SATA ports sideways on the motherboard; that is, when the board is laid flat, the ports are horizontal on the side. I think this is the newer convention compared to the older approach where the ports are facing upwards straight out from the board.

In my case, (pun intended) there is barely enough clearance to plug them in at all, thanks to the drive cage. I suspect the case was not designed with this convention in mind. Many newer cases are, thankfully, and leave some clearance where those side-out SATA connectors usually are.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.