Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Abrupt Shut Down  (Read 2880 times)

QED

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Abrupt Shut Down
    « on: May 12, 2016, 06:37:42 PM »
    Hey Guys,
    Unfortunately I think this is one of those problems where really you have to be here to witness it before you suggest what do. However, I don't really have anywhere else to turn. SO here it goes:

My Desktop which I rebuilt in Oct 2014, and then Watercooled just the CPU JUL 2015 (coolest thing I've ever built). Recently though the its been shutting down very quickly and then start back up as if nothing happened. I'll post the Speccy report, and hope to hear from someone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Hsdqu0J8jRBKmRVK0fXkxQU

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Abrupt Shut Down
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:38:58 AM »
    Are you saying that the computer is booting up quicker than it normally would from off? Are you sure that the computer is restarting or is it just entering a standby mode? Does it power down or just restart?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 05:05:12 AM »
    More detail needed.
    There is a condition whee the monitor can turn itself off and then back on align within a few seconds. Monitor r shutdown and restart does not disturb the system, just annoys  the operator.

QED

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 02:04:29 PM »
      The whole computer just tuns off as if the plug was pulled out. And then turns back on again. I'm sorry if it's vague, It something I've never witnessed before and there are no error messages that I know of which makes it hard to diagnose.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »
      Where do you live? What is the power live voltage in your area?
      There are some rare things that can do that, often something to do with over voltage or spikes on the power mains.
      When this happens, does the number lock led on the keyboard go off?  I
      f the mouse has a light, does it go off?
      Does he is condition last for more than two seconds?

Is there any kind associations with some programs?
      Is this more frequent in the morning? Night?

What hardware have you added recently?
      What new software?

QED

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 11:19:07 AM »
        Sorry for the delay.
        I live downtown Colorado Springs, Colorado. IN very old house that DOES have electrical problems, so that could be very suspect. However I have lived here for almost 2 years now and have only recently had this problem. I haven't noticed the light on my mouse going off, I'll pay more attention the next time it happens.

No, the computer isn't off for more then a couple of seconds before turning back on.

it happens more frequently when I have game running, and when its been on for an extend period of time.

As for new hardware, the most recent hardware that I've added was the watercooling loop that I built ~a year ago.
        No new software except for updates and stuff.

Hope you guys are having a good weekend.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 02:21:13 PM »
        My first suspect would be the Power Supply. (presuming, of course, we can't blame the grid in some way :P).

Power Supply may be faulty and as a result dropping or running the PWR_GOOD signal to the motherboard outside of the appropriate tolerance while the system is running. This signal is intended to tell the system "Yep, the power I'm giving you tastes great". A computer waits until the power supply gives a positive review before it indulges and boots up; additionally, if the line drops, the system will turn up it's nose and go into a reset loop until it gets back into tolerance.

It's also possible it is actually not providing sufficient power or dropping the power to the point where the system reboots, as well.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

QED

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 06:52:08 PM »
          Is it possible for a power supply to overheat? I am almost certain( I can look up the numbers.) that my 850 watt PSU (Corsair 850 Hxi series) can handle the load that its currently under. alternatively could the PSU be faulty to the point its loses power? If so, how can I test for something like that?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 09:34:15 PM »
          Any PSU must shut down if there is thermal overload. All good PSI designs require a thermal sensor. If the fan goes off, it will have to shut down in a matter of time.
          To test, try to estimate the air going to  PSU. Or better, use a temperature probe to measure the internal temp of the PSU.

Also, put a desk fan near the PSU and sees if that helps.

A good temperature probe is not as expensive as a new PSU, but it is not cheap either.

QED

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 05:40:42 PM »
            After some brief research I've discovered that Corsair PSU's do have a problem over heating. Which seams to be the most likely case, since majority of the shut-downs occurred after gaming for a number of hours. Is my only option to buy a different PSU?

Unrelated, Since I think we are nearing the end of the this thread. I was wondering how I could become a more active participant in this community. Building Desktops has been something I've been really passionate for awhile now and I think it would beneficial to for me and maybe even the community.