Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microtower 3130 problems installing new ram  (Read 2687 times)

drfeelgood159

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Microtower 3130 problems installing new ram
    « on: May 10, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »
    Hello and thank you for reading my thread. I am having troubles with the ram for my computer. My current rig has
    Motherboard: Hp pro 3130 Microtower PC
    Processor: Intel i5 cpu 650 @ 3.2 ghz
    graphics card: Geforce GTX 750 Ti
    My problems are concerning my ram. I currently have 4 gb and would like to upgrade so I can run fallout 4 at a better frame rate. I bought 2 4gb Gskill ripjaw ram sticks.
    The exact info on the ram is as follows,
    Current: Crucial 2gb 240 pin dimm 256mx64 DDR3
    Elpida: 2gb 2Rx8 PC3-10600U-9-10-B0
    The new ones: DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 1.5v
    PC3- 12800 4Gx2 Intel XMP Ready.

So my tower should be able to handle up to 16gb of ram. however when I try installing the new ram my tower boots up and the computer monitor just flashes on and off and doesn't get power. This is definitely not a display issue because the problem does not occur when the rig only has the old ram. So my questions are do I have the correct type of RAM? I made sure it was 240 pin ddr3, is there other requirements I have to meet? Are the new sticks I bought compatible? Do I need to modify options in my bios? If my current sticks are incompatible I am thinking about returning them and downloading crucial part picker and just buying whatever they tell me to. I am very exhausted with this rig and this is the last piece of a very burdensome project. I am not very tech savvy either and this is my first computer I have modified at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Microtower 3130 problems installing new ram
    « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:12:44 PM »
    Yes... check the Mboard manuf. site for which RAM is in the QVL list...
    QVL = factory tested for that PC.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Microtower 3130 problems installing new ram
    « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 03:57:33 AM »
    I've found some HP models can be very picky with RAM and even CPUs (had a Pro 3300 which claimed a CPU which was on the supported CPU list, er, wasn't supported, and it refused to boot).
    From some Googling, it seems several others have reported issues with upgrading the RAM on this model, from this thread Crucial recommended a specific part number, saying the 3130 needs low density memory (part number CT51264BA160B which is a 4GB module).  It does sound like you have a compatibility issue with the RAM you've bought, in any case it's not working for you so I would look to return that.

Hope this helps.