Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Express not responding???  (Read 3012 times)

seagers

Outlook Express not responding???
« on: December 01, 2005, 08:44:48 AM »
Hi,
Hope I have the right forum this time, I've been directed to this site as my Outlook will not open at all, when i click on it I just get the request to send the report to Microsoft, no advise as to why it won't open.

I've done a system restore back a couple of days and that hasn't worked, I've deleted all my cookies and temp files (as advised) that hasn't worked.  I’m on Windows XP if that makes a difference.

it was working fine yesterday, then my husband logged into his user, managed to open outlook but it would not send or receive.

If I were to uninstall and re install it (not sure I know how to be honest) I would loose all my emails and addresses wouldn't I???

Hoping someone can help me........

Many thanks

Miriam

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    Re: Outlook Express not responding???
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 09:21:10 AM »
    Have you got any anti virus/spyware software to scan your system with?

If you uninstall OE then reinstall you wont lose your files - they are kept in a separate place ion your system.

Go to Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> Add/Remove Windows Components> scroll down and remove the tick next to OE - click next and let it complete.

Then reboot your system - go back through the same process to reinstall the tick. Let that complete and then try with OE again.
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

seagers

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 09:28:20 AM »
    Hi, I've run Norton which says there is nothing wrong, I've jsut gone into add/remove and done what you said, still makes no difference, still get the error report request, what on earth can be wrong???

Miriam

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
      « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 09:38:28 AM »
      Reboot your system and when starting up keep tapping F8.
      From the list that comes up use your arrow keys and select Safe Mode. Choose XP if asked. Let it run through the screens (you'll get lots of files running down your screen),

eventually you'll get a log in screen, choose Administrator. Try OE again. You won't have internet access but the program should open. If it does try scanning for spyware.

If it doesn't then you may need to remaster your system.

There is a virus out at the moment ICF/Sober Worm - I got hit 9 times in different emails but fortunately my system quarantined them before they could do anything.

Try creating a new user account and trying with that one.
      A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

seagers

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 07:09:50 AM »
      Hi,
      Just to say thanks for your halp, I managed to get it going this morning after downloading Microsoft spy ware...no idea what was wrong but it's fine again now.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
      Miriam

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 10:58:21 PM »
      We are miracle workers aren't we?  ::) ::) ::)