Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Silly Question on PSU  (Read 2412 times)

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Silly Question on PSU
    « on: May 17, 2016, 10:50:21 PM »
    I have a power supply on another machine that is faulty. Could I simply unplug the cables from the PSU
    replace the old one with the new one and then plug the cables back into the new PSU?

Will I be ok with using the old cables from the old PSU with the new one? The cable management in the machine
    was very hard to perfect and I would like to not have to go through replacing on the power cables and playing around
    with them.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Silly Question on PSU
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 03:48:04 AM »
    I assume we're talking fully modular PSUs here?
    If the PSU is the exact same make and model, and you're sure the cables themselves are OK, then yes.
    If they're different, it's unlikely, if the PSUs are the same OEM and series then it's sometimes possible though.  You'll need to provide more info to say for sure.

Please note: do NOT do this until/unless you're positive it will work.  Even though the cables may look the same, the pinouts may be different.  You don't want to give your motherboard 12V where it's expecting ground, for example - you'll kill something, possibly several somethings.