Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 3Gb to 8Gb RAM upgrade won't boot?  (Read 2682 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
3Gb to 8Gb RAM upgrade won't boot?
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:31:56 AM »
This is for my HP 2000-299WM laptop.
I ordered two 4Gb modules from Crucial according to what they recommend but my machine will not boot. I've also tried each module installed individually in both slots. The power light illuminates and the machine sounds like it is trying to access the optical drive momentarily - then no activity. Power light stays illuminated but there is no activity. Is there any setting in the BIOS or somewhere else that I am missing in order to get this RAM to run?
My old memory is PC3-10600 and the new Crucial upgrade is PC3L-12800 (as specified by Crucial). Is this my problem?

My machine specs are here:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-2000-200-Notebook-PC-series/5091493/model/5158885/product-info

The new memory is here:
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/hp-2000-299wm/CT3303839

I've talked to Crucial tech support and they decided that I may have received 2 bad modules, RMA'ed my order, and shipped replacements via overnight. That package will arrive tomorrow but I've got my doubts that 2 bad modules is the culprit. Is there anything else I can try before I pack these modules back up for return shipment?

As always, thanks for any help.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: 3Gb to 8Gb RAM upgrade won't boot?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »
If they offered i would ship the chips immediately...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 01:17:44 PM »
Done. I put the return package in the UPS box before today's pick-up time.
The replacements are already in route to me now under a different order # as a new charge to me including overnight shipping.
When Crucial receives the return package they will refund the original order purchase / shipping charge to my account.
I don't mean to be pessimistic but I expect I may have an issue other than 2 bad brand new modules. If this turns out to be the case tomorrow when I install the replacement modules then what should my next move be?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
PC3L usually just means low voltage - not required for your machine, but it shouldn't cause any issues.  Having said that it's possible your laptop just doesn't like the RAM, Crucial's advisor tool isn't an absolute guarantee of compatibility unfortunately.
If you've already tried the sticks individually, there's not a huge amount more to try, but have you tried one new stick and one old/working stick together?  I doubt it'll work but it may be worth trying just to see what happens.
It's also worth checking if there are any BIOS updates (current version looks to be F.39) and if so, updating the BIOS, then trying again.  Specifically the F18 BIOS update notes say "- Fixes an issue where a system with 4GB memory unexpectedly stops responding." which may be relevant.  Looks like they've released a heck of a lot of updates, too, most say something along the lines of "added support for new models" but it's possible there are compatibility updates in some revisions so it's worth a try.

Edit: didn't see your post above, apologies!  Most is still relevant, though :)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 11:07:54 AM »
I installed the replacement memory and still have this 'no boot' issue. Right now, after re-installing the original memory, I'm trying to install the 3 BIOS updates available from Dell but when I try to install the 1st one (F.24) it shows "publisher has been blocked from running software on your machine". Then when I click "view certificate" it shows "this certificate has been revoked by it's certification authority. (see attachment) F.16 and F.39 installed fine as well as the "HP BIOS Update UEFI 2.2.0.0 Rev. A"

After installing these BIOS updates, then installing the replacement modules, I still have the same no boot issue.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 03:06:27 PM »
Update:
 I talked with tech support at Crucial again and he is sending me different module part #'s. According to Crucial the only difference will be that this is low density as compared to the modules they sent before being high density. He said that when he researched my computer model, HP2000-299wm, he found that there have been multiple RMA's, but limited feedback on which module part # actually solved this problem.

Part #'s for the first and second modules that failed to boot is: CT51264BF160BJ.M8FP
Part # for the modules they are shipping to me now is: CT51264BF160B.C16FPR2

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 10:40:52 AM »
Success! I installed the CT51264BF160B.C16FPR2 modules this morning and it booted right up with no problem. Passmark rating improved from 623 to 754, and memory mark from 376.8 to 384.6. I notified Ryan at Crucial to let him know this worked for future reference. I must give Crucial support credit for excellent service helping me solve this issue. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a SSD for this machine next month and I'll be purchasing that from, you guessed it, Crucial.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 01:59:12 PM »
Good on you to send forward Kudo's...i'd notify his staff via e-mail.
Not the 1st time i've heard them go above and beyond...i had 3 instances in the past years with the same positive results.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "