Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Core Help  (Read 2959 times)

Arceus3315

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    CPU Core Help
    « on: May 15, 2016, 01:16:52 PM »
    So, I actually just had a general question. I have a custom computer, so I don't exactly have a brand booting. This game I play has horrible optimization, and the main features are all used on a single core, instead of spreading out. My BIOS allows me to disable/enable certain cores (I have it set as auto). At the moment I have an FX 6350, which has 6 cores with 3.98 GHz. Let's say I disabled all but one core. Would all 3.98GHz go onto one core, or would the one core only have a certain amount of power? Is it possible for it to overheat or become unstable using only one core? Will it be as efficient?

Thanks for anyone that can answer these questions as soon as possible.
    :)
    -Austin

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: CPU Core Help
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
    The Speed rating of a CPU is all cores. That is, your CPU has 6 cores, all of which have a clock speed if 3.98Ghz.

If you disable cores- you disable cores. None of the other cores are affected. If you disable 5 cores, you have 1 core that runs at 3.98Ghz.

Basically instead of having that one game make full use of one core, now it has to share that one core with everything else running on the system.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Arceus3315

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 07:01:58 PM »
      So basically every single core activated at the same time does 3.98 GHz at the same time?

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 08:07:47 AM »
      Yes ... Just wanted to mention though that when a game is started you can go into task manager and look at processes and find the game and then set Core Affinity to flag that game to run only on a specific core. I have had to do this with Unreal Tournament 99 a game made before multiplecore systems became the norm. You can select on a 6 core system cores 0 thru 5. And uncheck all cores except for say a single core of your choice. This way, the computer itself can still run maximum performance with 5 other cores for everything else that is going on, and your not crippling system performance. Going into BIOS and disabling cores will reduce system performance as for the OS and everything else running would be competing for that 1 core if you shut off 5 cores. Game might run ok or it might run horrible depending on the needs of the game.

Best option is setting Core Affinity for the game to run on a single of the 6 core CPU and make full use of your CPU's potential instead of crippling it. The game should run really well at almost 4Ghz for a single dedicated core set to core affinity for the game.  :)   Which game btw?

Arceus3315

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 02:48:47 PM »
        Yes ... Just wanted to mention though that when a game is started you can go into task manager and look at processes and find the game and then set Core Affinity to flag that game to run only on a specific core. I have had to do this with Unreal Tournament 99 a game made before multiplecore systems became the norm. You can select on a 6 core system cores 0 thru 5. And uncheck all cores except for say a single core of your choice. This way, the computer itself can still run maximum performance with 5 other cores for everything else that is going on, and your not crippling system performance. Going into BIOS and disabling cores will reduce system performance as for the OS and everything else running would be competing for that 1 core if you shut off 5 cores. Game might run ok or it might run horrible depending on the needs of the game.

Best option is setting Core Affinity for the game to run on a single of the 6 core CPU and make full use of your CPU's potential instead of crippling it. The game should run really well at almost 4Ghz for a single dedicated core set to core affinity for the game.  :)   Which game btw?

Well, it's ArmA 3. I have an AMD FX 6350 (I dont even know if I said that in my post,) and the game apparently isn't quite optimized. According to a few other people, the game doesn't support hyperthreading (I guess multiple cores?) and AMD. That's a double-negative for me, making my FPS worse, but the game is playable.

ALSO: How do I find the "core affinity" setting on Task Manager? I have Win 10.

EDIT: I found out how to set core affinity, ty. I'm playing ArmA 3 rn on Zeus Milsim, I'll check out if it helps or not. Thanks!
        (If you want to add me on Steam, search up Arceus3315 for my main [doesnt have ArmA 3], and Smurf3335 for my ArmA 3 account)