Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Not Performing.  (Read 9704 times)

cademichaels

CPU Not Performing.
« on: November 25, 2005, 07:19:30 AM »
I assure you.  This is not a simple problem.  I am a seasoned tech.  There are no viruses, no spyware.  My CPU is running like garbage.  I cannot figure out why.  I am thinking it is a driver issue or something but have no way to prove one way or the other.  My CPU is simply not performing.  Its not virtual memory, its not the ram, I don't have too many apps running.  

I have replaced the CPU, motherboard and video card.  still the same.  

Does anyone know of an Operating System Independant CPU benchmarking tool?  So I can boot to the Benchmark tool without any operating system interference?  Because everything I am doing tells me this is a hardware problem but I am running out of parts to replace.  

Thanx

cademichaels

Re: CPU Not Performing.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 07:45:58 AM »
Its a mobile P4 2.8 ghz

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 01:21:18 PM »
    How can you say its your cpu or hardware when you said you have replaced it. need more info on the specs of your computer and when this problem started. Whats it run like in safemode.
    « Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 01:22:29 PM by Frankie »

cademichaels

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 11:53:51 AM »
    How can you say its your cpu or hardware when you said you have replaced it. need more info on the specs of your computer and when this problem started. Whats it run like in safemode.

It runs just as poorly in safemode as it does in standard mode.  I agree that it "Shouldn't" be a hardware problem since everything was replaced but it is possible both (however very unlikely) were bad.  If I had an OS independant Benchmarking tool I could rule that out.  

Frankie

Apprentice
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 01:04:10 PM »
      You could have a bottleneck somewhere but without knowing the specs of the PC and motherboard i cant say.

cademichaels

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 06:14:29 PM »
      Its a Toshiba a45-2501

Frankie

Apprentice
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 09:21:36 PM »
        Sorry did a google on that no reply. Untill you give more details im not sure anyone can help here.
        « Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 09:28:07 PM by Frankie »

cademichaels

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 10:22:25 AM »
        What do you want to know?  I'm a tech myself.  http://support.toshiba.com punch in the model and you will get all the specs

Frankie

Apprentice
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 11:32:15 AM »
          Goto task manager and processes and see if anything is using the processor other than whats suppose to.

When you say its running like garbage do you mean your computer is running slow if so. Have you checked for overheating scanned your hard disk for bad sectors, it could be your hard drive wearing out or your OS could be corrupt. Remove or disable any programs that automatically start each time the computer boots.

Safemode determines if it is a driver issue.
          « Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 12:05:09 PM by Frankie »

smelly_Cat

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 11:59:35 AM »
          This is a shot in the dark but...
          Sometimes  the video card or sound  can make the PC wacky.  Try disabling the sound or another V-card.  SC

Dell4700

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 12:56:59 PM »
          cademichaels,

You're not sure it's a processor problem or something else and you want to find a way to evaluate it?  You have replaced most of your hardware, including the MB?  Have you replaced the processor?

If I read you right, here are some ideas:

-  measuring processor performance independent of your system (software/hardware) would require hardware not readily available to the public, such as measurement tools during manufacturing.  You can, however, closely simulate this by doing a thorough benchmark of your processor with minimal hardware and software in place (remove as much as you can to simplify the troubleshooting).  Once you have done this, replace the processor with another of the same type, model and ratings, if you can.  Redo the benchmark, and any difference can be attributed to the processor. I'd suggest using more than one benchmarking tool.

If you can't find another processor, you'll have to rely on numbers from others such as Everest.

- if the benchmarks are close, then most likely it is not a processor problem.

- MB settings, jumpers, power, cabling, etc. rechecked?
          - BIOS settings consistent with system?
          - drive settings (bus, type, format) checked?
          - operating system(s) settings consistent with hardware?

But, I'm sure you already know this!

Good Luck!

Dell

cademichaels

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 02:16:16 PM »
          Looking for an Benchmark tool that will boot from a CD or Floppy.  Then I can rule that out.  The Processor and MB.  Its a laptop so that includes almost all the other hardware (video, etc)

cademichaels

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 03:03:19 PM »
          Hey i just noticed this in my boot.ini file.

[boot loader]
          timeout=30
          default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
          [operating systems]
          multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /forceresetreg /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I could not find any resources explaining /forceresetreg but I know I need /fastdetect.  However I am confused about this /noexecute  How do I know if this should be enabled?  this sounds like something that could cause a problem if configured wrong

smelly_Cat

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 05:09:13 PM »
          I hope you figure this out,   At work we have an IBM thinkpad that has been excessively slow since we bought it.  We have tried to fix it and had tech guys take it apart and change out components and it just never performed.  Maybe its a lemon.  Did this Laptop you have ever work well or has it alway been underwelming?  SC

cademichaels

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 12:55:13 PM »
          Been for about a month

Fed

• Sage
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 01:14:27 PM »
            This is from your previous thread and sysinfo.

Machine is running extremely slow.  I have run multiple Diagnostics on it and the CPU is running at about 10% of what it should be in Windows.

Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB  
            Available Physical Memory 65.10 MB

What does the bottom of your Task Manager say for CPU Usage & Memory Usage?

--------------------------------

When I am running nothing(except a few resident apps like virus scanner, etc) and I open task manager.  I am at 100% CPU resouces.  When I sort it by CPU% Taskman is on the top with like 65% of the CPU

--------------------------------

Are you confused between taskmgr and taskman?

Getting answers is like pulling teeth, help us to help you.

At 100% cpu usage and only 65MB of available ram why wouldn't you expect it to run slow?

cademichaels

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 07:44:34 PM »
            Got a bit of a breakthrough.  Not a solution but possible troubleshooting information.  

I hibernated my computer for awhile then turned it back on.  Machine seemed to be running much faster.  I then quickly ran the CPU Benchmark on it.  It Measured at 7388MIPS and 3752 MLOPS which is about spec.   However about 5 minutes or less later my computer seemed to be sagging again so I ran it again receiving a rating of 757MIPS and 381 MFLOPS.  I ran no programs and changed nothing.  Time simply seemed to deterate my processing power.

However.... I don't think this helps rule out a hardware problem nor a Windows issue.  But let me review the problems

1- CPU is running like crap
            2- CPU Resources are running at their MAX however there are no other apps running AT ALL other then necessary
            3- Same issue takes place in SAFE MODE
            4- And now - CPU runs good for about 5 minutes then suddenly slows

cademichaels

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 08:17:27 PM »

Its always at 100%  Memory usage is fine.  I took a gig of ram OUT to rule that out as a possible problem since they were different brands.  If I boot up the PC fresh it has much more free memory.  I think when I took that SYSInfo log I was in Outlook, had about 2 dozen browser windows opened and a bunch of other junk.

Are you confused between taskmgr and taskman?

I am now.  Are they not the same?

Getting answers is like pulling teeth, help us to help you.

Sorry.   I appreciate the help
            At 100% cpu usage and only 65MB of available ram why wouldn't you expect it to run slow?

Yes but normally this isn't true.  I only have less ram because I wanted to rule it out as a possible cause

cademichaels

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 08:18:16 PM »
            Read my last post about the Hibernate

Fed

• Sage
              « Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 11:30:26 PM »
              Time to pull another tooth.  :D

My CPU usage says 0%-1% at idle.
              My memory usage says 178000K/883000K
              (I have 512 MBs of RAM)
              In your processes it should show taskmgr, not taskman or taskmngr.

I assume hibernate suspends all running programs so the plot thickens.
              « Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 11:32:30 PM by Fed »

cademichaels

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 05:51:38 AM »
              38 Processes
              100% CPU
              Commit Charge 254/ 1154

But again I have 11 browser windows opened. so that explains the memory, however TASKMGR.EXE is using up 86% of the CPU.  But I don't think TaskMGR has gone mad, I think my CPU thinks its a 10th the speed so since my computer is now a 10th the normal speed a simple app like TASKMGR is able to use up all the available CPU resources

Fed

• Sage
                « Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 11:52:58 AM »
                What does Everest (overclock) show your cpu speed at?

Frankie

Apprentice
                • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                  « Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 03:40:16 PM »
                  taskmgr.exe or taskmngr.exe or ...?

The first is the real Task Manager process and the other is the WormRBOT.Y
                  Maybe this worm or another malware ...

"WormRBOT.Y"
                  http://de.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/vinfo/encyclopedia.php?LYstr=VMAINDATA&VName=WRM_RBOT.Y

Also try this free trial version of task manager. This will tell you about all programs running. Task manager in windows doesnt always show all.

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/taskmgr.exe.html
                  « Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 04:43:04 PM by Frankie »

cademichaels

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 06:55:20 PM »
                  E-gad  Its not a virus.  I have downloaded an run 16 different virus scanners and 12 different Spy Scanners which all found NOTHING

Taskmgr.exe  verfied the File with Microsoft to be correct

cademichaels

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 06:56:10 PM »
                  I have that tool, and another 2 dozen that explain processes in memory.  

cademichaels

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 08:02:30 PM »
                  What does Everest (overclock) show your cpu speed at?

Installed it but didn't see an option for CPU Benchmarking

Fed

• Sage
                    « Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 12:04:43 AM »
                    Overclock to see what your cpu is ticking at.

Field      Value
                    CPU Clock      2405.37 MHz  (original: 2400 MHz)

Fed

• Sage
                      « Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 12:12:28 AM »
                      To save me having to hunt down all the other threads, are your temps OK? (Everest)
                      Check your voltages at the same time.

cademichaels

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 01:29:56 PM »
                      CPU is clocking at the right MHZ (2.794)

But I didn't see a place for Voltages

cademichaels

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 01:41:08 PM »
                      Found it

Voltage                                           1.5 V

cademichaels

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2005, 01:42:12 PM »
                      --------[ DMI ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ BIOS ]

BIOS Properties:
                           Vendor                                            TOSHIBA
                           Version                                           Version 1.50
                           Release Date                                      01/26/2004
                           Size                                              512 KB
                           Boot Devices                                      Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, PC Card
                           Capabilities                                      Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD, BBS
                           Supported Standards                               DMI, ACPI, PnP
                           Expansion Capabilities                            ISA, VLB, PCI, PCMCIA, USB

cademichaels

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2005, 01:42:47 PM »
                        [ System ]

System Properties:
                           Manufacturer                                      TOSHIBA
                           Product                                           Satellite A45
                           Version                                           PSA40U-0C1ZP8
                           Serial Number                                     34064426H
                           Universal Unique ID                               82D8E600-742E11D8-80D1B153-34064426
                           Wake-Up Type                                      Power Switch

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
                           Product                                           Portable PC
                           Version                                           Version A0
                           Serial Number                                     $$C043B0JR

[ Chassis ]

Chassis Properties:
                           Version                                           Version 1.0
                           Serial Number                                     00000000
                           Asset Tag                                         0000000000
                           Chassis Type                                      Notebook
                           Boot-Up State                                     Safe
                           Power Supply State                                Safe
                           Thermal State                                     Safe
                           Security Status                                   None

cademichaels

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2005, 01:43:07 PM »
                        [ Memory Controller ]

Memory Controller Properties:
                           Error Detection Method                            None
                           Error Correction                                  None
                           Supported Memory Types                            DIMM, SDRAM
                           Supported Memory Voltages                         2.9V
                           Maximum Memory Module Size                        1024 MB
                           Memory Slots                                      2

[ Processors / Processor #1 ]

Processor Properties:
                           Manufacturer                                      Intel Corporation
                           External Clock                                    133 MHz
                           Maximum Clock                                     2800 MHz
                           Current Clock                                     2800 MHz
                           Type                                              Central Processor
                           Voltage                                           1.5 V
                           Status                                            Enabled
                           Upgrade                                           ZIF
                           Socket Designation                                uFC-PGA Socket

[ Caches / CPU Internal ]

Cache Properties:
                           Type                                              Internal
                           Speed                                             1 ns
                           Operational Mode                                  Write-Back
                           Associativity                                     4-way Set-Associative
                           Maximum Size                                      8 KB
                           Installed Size                                    8 KB
                           Error Correction                                  Single-bit ECC
                           Socket Designation                                CPU Internal

[ Caches / CPU Internal ]

Cache Properties:
                           Type                                              Internal
                           Speed                                             1 ns
                           Operational Mode                                  Write-Back
                           Maximum Size                                      512 KB
                           Installed Size                                    512 KB
                           Socket Designation                                CPU Internal

[ Memory Modules / SO-DIMM ]

Memory Module Properties:
                           Socket Designation                                SO-DIMM
                           Type                                              DIMM, SDRAM
                           Speed                                             70 ns
                           Installed Size                                    256 MB
                           Enabled Size                                      256 MB

[ Memory Modules / SO-DIMM ]

Memory Module Properties:
                           Socket Designation                                SO-DIMM
                           Type                                              DIMM, SDRAM
                           Speed                                             70 ns
                           Installed Size                                    256 MB
                           Enabled Size                                      256 MB

[ Memory Devices / DIMM 0 ]

Memory Device Properties:
                           Form Factor                                       SODIMM
                           Type                                              SDRAM
                           Type Detail                                       Synchronous
                           Size                                              256 MB
                           Total Width                                       64-bit
                           Data Width                                        64-bit
                           Device Locator                                    DIMM 0
                           Bank Locator                                      CSA 0 & 1

[ Memory Devices / DIMM 1 ]

Memory Device Properties:
                           Form Factor                                       SODIMM
                           Type                                              SDRAM
                           Type Detail                                       Synchronous
                           Size                                              256 MB
                           Total Width                                       64-bit
                           Data Width                                        64-bit
                           Device Locator                                    DIMM 1
                           Bank Locator                                      CSA 2 & 3

cademichaels

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2005, 01:44:04 PM »
                      I don;t know what other thread you keep talking about.  This is the only thread for this discussion I am aware of

Crafty

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2005, 03:53:12 PM »
                      Is this computer really worth all the hassel your having with it. If it was me it would be in the computer grave yard by now. Is it really necessary to carry on with this project.
                      « Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:26:44 PM by Crafty »

cademichaels

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2005, 08:21:39 PM »
                      Is this computer really worth all the hassel your having with it. If it was me it would be in the computer grave yard by now. Is it really nessaary to carry on with this project.

Thank you for taking the time to make a completely useless remark.  

Yes its worth it.  I only bought it last year.  Its a 2.8GHZ P4 Laptop.  It still has some value.  I don't know about you but I don't have another 2g's to dish out this year

Now if anyone has anything useful to say, Please do.  If you think this thread is a waste of time then go read something else.  I appreciate all the time the peoople who are helping are spending on troubleshooting this issue with me.  But remarks like this waste everyones time
                      « Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:23:48 PM by cademichaels »

Crafty

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2005, 08:38:23 PM »
                      Thank you for taking the time to make a completely useless remark. Yes its worth it.  I only bought it last year.  Its a 2.8GHZ P4 Laptop.  It still has some value.  I don't know about you but I don't have another 2g's to dish out

Big WOW sorry if you thought this post was offensive, wasnt meant like that, I am speaking how i would feel  :-X >:(. Its just you seem intent on finding this problem out. Have you asked Toshiba the makers of the laptop. I see they have good online support.
                      « Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 09:20:27 PM by Crafty »