Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Find old Movies about Virtual Reality.  (Read 4278 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Find old Movies about Virtual Reality.
« on: June 23, 2016, 07:24:50 PM »
Do your parents chide you about your VR gear?
 Do they rant about how it is a waste of time?
You need some help and it is in the form of old movies. Read on.

This is off topic and at the same time very relevant. Virtual reality is becoming more important not only as a type of software you could run on home computer, but also an educational system. In fact, some schools are getting into VR.
https://techcrunch.com/2016/01/23/when-virtual-reality-meets-education/
(I just put that into computer news.)

Virtual reality can be very entertaining and captivating. It's greater power is the ability to teach and train people in things you cannot learn from a book. Specifically, it is used to train commercial airline pilots to deal with it different kinds of situations that could occur on a commercial flight. For the military virtual reality is a way of training people without the risk of losing aircraft or students. For most of us the potential of virtual reality is not yet apparent.

One way you can help your friends and relatives appreciate the value of virtual reality is by means of some recent and classic movies that dealt with the subject of virtual reality in some form. Here is just one list you might want to look at.

http://observer.com/2016/03/7-movies-you-can-experience-in-virtual-reality/

Now after looking at that, you might want to consider a more comprehensive list of movies that deal with virtual reality. Most of these movies are still available somewhere on the Internet if you just take a look around.

http://www.ranker.com/list/best-virtual-reality-movies-list/all-genre-movies-lists

Find the ones you like best and put it into a little library you have so you can show other people how virtual and reality can have a useful place in the real world beyond just entertainment.

Any comments are welcome.   :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:35:37 PM by Geek-9pm »

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Find old Movies about Virtual Reality.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 06:29:11 AM »
One movie that comes to mind that is almost like VR is Brainstorm. I can see the adult industry wanting to get in on this one if it ever existed. Great movie on a concept or recording one persons experiences and thoughts for another to experience as if its their own and play back over and over again. Its quite a bend from VR as for its more like being in a linear video game of progression vs free range and thought of normal VR, but I enjoyed this movie years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainstorm_(1983_film)

There was also a video game VR low budget movie that came out in the 1990s but it skips my mind. Kids that die on the VR game die in the real world etc. Cant even remember any of the actors names because they were all low cost actors but I rented the VHS at a local video store so it was big enough of a movie to make its way to the local video store.

Matrix is my all time favorite of VR. Old enough to be called an old movie, but pretty recent too. The ending of the Matrix movie I thought was disappointing and weak. I really wanted to see one that he conquer and bring everyone out of it etc vs what it was.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 10:00:09 AM »
Matrix is my all time favorite of VR. Old enough to be called an old movie, but pretty recent too. The ending of the Matrix movie I thought was disappointing and weak. I really wanted to see one that he conquer and bring everyone out of it etc vs what it was.
Yeah, a number of  films and TV shows need an better endings. That could make a great theme for a kind of VR. Image a powerful animation thing that could do real-time graphics. When it gets to the end, the program kicks in and makes alternative endings for the audience. The audience would suggest maybe three or four possible endings.. Everybody in the theater would put on a VR mask and see  one of three choices given by the r audience. All would be projected into VR masks with real-time graphics. for the last 10 minutes of the story ending. Everything you might see the story  again, there would be a new audience and it would be anew ending. Or multiple new endings.
Then there would be a TV show to pick the best new endings of Matrix 2019.   

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 10:18:58 AM »
Tron...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:32:51 AM »
The Lawnmower Man

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 05:49:44 PM »
I always thought lawnmower man was just a man that was stupid that unlocked his brain higher IQ more and more until he was almost godlike and out of control.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 09:37:39 PM »
Slauterghouse Five.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 10:58:59 PM »
Far Out!
Slauterghouse Five.
:o
A film version was done in 1972 based on Kurt Vonnegut's novel of the same name.
The film follows the novel in presenting a first-person narrative from the point of view of Billy Pilgrim (Sacks), who becomes "unstuck in time" and experiences the events of his life in a seemingly random order, including a period spent on the alien planet
Never saw it. Where can I find it?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 11:31:56 PM »
Amazon...