Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC RESTARTS AUTOMATICALLY  (Read 4024 times)

pknayak100

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    PC RESTARTS AUTOMATICALLY
    « on: August 07, 2016, 02:34:49 AM »
    Hi after shutting down my pc it is automatically power on and starts without power button on.what shall i do.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC RESTARTS AUTOMATICALLY
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 08:10:04 AM »
    Go into BIOS and disable Power On Features like WoL or others that dont use the power button, then save the changes. You might have WoL enabled. Also seen a keyboard do this too with a cat around and a key gets bumped with Power on feature of by key press.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

If its not this as the cause then it could also be a faulty power supply with ripple, or a motherboard with a capacitor that has failed that is allowing for ripple to trigger a false soft-power on condition. The power button when pressed uses the soft-power on state. If the motherboard thinks that the button was tapped when it wasnt it can boot it back up.

Hopefully its an easy BIOS config change with WoL. I had a Zotac motherboard system come with WoL enabled by default and for some reason a WoL instruction was on my local network causing it to boot up on its own, not sure which device was causing WoL to sense a boot condition either. Disabled WoL and problem went away.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 08:15:20 AM »
    If it's a new build you may have the Pwr and Reset headers backwards on the front of the case...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 11:27:26 AM »
    If it's a new build you may have the Pwr and Reset headers backwards on the front of the case...

I was thinking about this too, but if its making connection in rest position without a finger pushing it if swapped between Power On and Reset, then the motherboard should be taking it as if someone walked up to computer pushed power button in and held there finger into it in which it should then perform a hard shutdown after X-many seconds of the power button held in and not successfully boot. I havent found a motherboard yet that has the hard shutdown feature disable able by user.

I know that windows has customization of what to do with soft power button pressed. But....  :-\