Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: win98 blank desktop,dll problem  (Read 4944 times)

cooper

win98 blank desktop,dll problem
« on: November 26, 2005, 06:41:39 PM »
When I load windows all I get is the picture on my desktop.
I can't get into windows through safe mode either.
I've tried to reinstall,but in the last few minutes of install I receive this message: An error occurred loading C:\windows\system\shdocvw.dll The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.With the same text I also see the same message for shdoc401.dll.I only see these when trying to reinstall,there are no messages upon restart,just a desktop with no icons.
Without being able to get into windows I can't even run my antivirus.
My win 98 install disc is actually stored on my computer under Windows\Win 98\setup, which I can access through dos.How do I fix,delete, or run a
program to do this for me through dos?
Or on the other hand am I looking in the wrong direction?
Of course I'm writing from a dfferent computer on account that mine is currently in limbo.I really don't want to lose the info/personal files I've aquired over the years if there is a possible sollution.
I come to you because I'm beyond my limits of computer knowledge,I eagerly await any of the sagely advice you can offer.

Thankyou in advance,
from a lowly amatuer.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: win98 blank desktop,dll problem
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 07:51:33 PM »
This probably means a few of the files in that Win98 storage directory have become badly fragmented and or corrupted...do you have access to a Win98 CD ? ?
If so and you don't want to lose all your data what you can do is from DOS rename win.com to win.old then boot to the CD and run Setup. This method will retain all your settings etc. while repairing whatever ails Windows...
The win.com file will be found in the root directory of C:

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

cooper

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 08:07:43 PM »
No i don't have the actual cd,I can get to the stored disk through dos though,\windows\win98\setup.Will this still work? the files that are on the stored disk shouln't be corrupted as well,should they?Hopefully they're only on the currently installed version.
Do you believe your method will still work under my situation,not having the actual disk?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 09:33:56 PM »
Yes.
But i still believe it is those files that are corrupted as you recieved errors on your last re-install.
This is why i suggested a Win98CD.

Good Luck and let us know,

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

cooper

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 01:04:05 AM »
Thanks Patio,I'll get back to you.

oh,I must ask,my knowledge of dos commands are limited,might you suggest the path to the file('s),/command
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 01:10:18 AM by cooper »