Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

How many people are currenting running windows 10?

Author Topic: Windows 7 or Windows 10? Do you like 10 or you wish to return to say 7?  (Read 5781 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Greetings!

My AMD machine needs its OS reinstalled. I had Windows 10 Pro on there but did not really like it. It needs a format reload either way and im debating if i shall return to 7 or just swallow my pride and go with the flow on Windows 10. I just VERY much dislike the forced updates jumping in, the control it has over me, the spying and its own mine. I set privacy settings one way; after update it sets them back. Ive used DoNotSpy10 and Spybot to stop this but should i really have to go through this much trouble?

However, it is the latest, its much faster then 7 was (even on my old WD Black Spindle Drive) and it (apparently) plays games better then 7 thanks to the Directx 12.

What do you all think? Please let me know id appreciate the feedback.

My specs below:

AMD FX 8120 @3ghz 8 Cores
Asus M5A97 Motherboard
8GB Kingston DDR3 RAM
1TB WD BLACK BOOT and 1TB seagate barracuda Extra drive
MSI Hawk R6870 GPU

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
I ended up running Never 10 to all my Windows 7 systems.

My situation is that Windows 7 does everything I need it to do, and Windows 10 is lacking. In fact there is no feature that 10 has that makes it worth having to have. So I am pretty much sticking with 7. Before the free upgrade period is expired, I will clone a drive and upgrade that cloned drive to 10. But will run 7. Someday when there is some sort of need for 10, I can simply swap drives and be on 10 after the deadline. And if I never go with Windows 10 then I can format the drive and use it for something else.

Windows 10 has been a let down personally. Additionally Microsofts pushy attitude with 10 in which they tried to force upgrade systems of mine to 10 soured my opinion of Microsoft as a business I can trust. I use to like Microsoft and now I am feeling more and more driven to Linux OS's. I have been using Linux Mint more and more. If they made a DirectX that was open source for Linux it would be sweet as for OpenGL just doesnt perform as well as DirectX for video games.

System I downgraded to 7 from 10 was a

AMD FX-8300 3.3Ghz 8 core
Biostar A960D+ AM3+ Motherboard
8 GB G.Skill Ares RAM ( 2 x 4GB 1600mhz )
240GB SSD Crucial M500
EVGA Geforce GTX 260 896mb superclocked 216 core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433

And frame rates for games were better with windows 7 nvidia drivers instead of Windows 10 nvidia drivers. I get a solid 60 fps with world of warcraft with windows 7 but windows 10 with nvidia driver I get 40-45 fps in the same area that performs better with 7.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
I ended up running Never 10 to all my Windows 7 systems.

My situation is that Windows 7 does everything I need it to do, and Windows 10 is lacking. In fact there is no feature that 10 has that makes it worth having to have. So I am pretty much sticking with 7. Before the free upgrade period is expired, I will clone a drive and upgrade that cloned drive to 10. But will run 7. Someday when there is some sort of need for 10, I can simply swap drives and be on 10 after the deadline. And if I never go with Windows 10 then I can format the drive and use it for something else.

Windows 10 has been a let down personally. Additionally Microsofts pushy attitude with 10 in which they tried to force upgrade systems of mine to 10 soured my opinion of Microsoft as a business I can trust. I use to like Microsoft and now I am feeling more and more driven to Linux OS's. I have been using Linux Mint more and more. If they made a DirectX that was open source for Linux it would be sweet as for OpenGL just doesnt perform as well as DirectX for video games.

System I downgraded to 7 from 10 was a

AMD FX-8300 3.3Ghz 8 core
Biostar A960D+ AM3+ Motherboard
8 GB G.Skill Ares RAM ( 2 x 4GB 1600mhz )
240GB SSD Crucial M500
EVGA Geforce GTX 260 896mb superclocked 216 core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433

And frame rates for games were better with windows 7 nvidia drivers instead of Windows 10 nvidia drivers. I get a solid 60 fps with world of warcraft with windows 7 but windows 10 with nvidia driver I get 40-45 fps in the same area that performs better with 7.

Wow. Thank you for the quick Reply. I like windows 7 a LOT more. However whats pushing me to 10 is ONLY and ONLY the DirectX12. Granted my MSI R6870 isnt what it used to be but in 10 i got a max of 80FPS in GTA V which to me on an old card is impressive. Averaged around 50-60FPS min was i want to say 40.

That reason and the fact that since i do some tech work having 10 would be good. But I HATE The constant updates the control over you all the other BS>

Salmon Trout

I got in the Windows 10 Insider program long before the official launch, and installed it on an oldish Dell Core 2 Duo laptop (2GB RAM 8 GB HD),  that had XP.  It was my only (free) chance at a modern Windows install on that machine. Everything worked fine straight away and it seemed noticeably more snappy. I have been letting the builds update ever since and I am very happy with it. About 1 year ago I bought a new desktop PC:

Spec as bought:
Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V motherboard
Intel i7 4790 cpu
16 GB RAM (2 x Crucial CT102464BA160B.C16)
1 TB WD Blue WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 HDD
Windows 8.1 Pro downgraded to Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)

Added by me:
120 MB Samsung Evo 840 SSD
Upgrade after 2 months to Windows 10 Professional 64 bit

I was already well used to Windows 7 having used it for 5 years in another PC. I found Windows 10 a great improvement and continue to do so. I would never go back.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
I agree with ST. I have two new systems that came with 10 and two others I upgraded from 7 to 10 (all pro version). When all is said and done it's just an OS, but I'm very pleased with it and have never even thought about reverting.

Salmon Trout

When all is said and done it's just an OS
The guy I sit next to at work is buying a new desktop PC and he asked me anxiously if he could get one with Windows 7 because "that's what I'm used to". I gave him my honest opinion, which is that, like you say, it's just Windows. You get a task bar at the bottom of the screen with a start button on the left end and a clock on the right, and you just run the programs you want. (in his case, mostly Firefox and MS Office 2007).

Allan

• Mastermind
Yes, other than look and feel (which when all is said and done can pretty much be reconfigured to the user's taste) I never understood all of the discussions that surround which version of Windows to use.

Salmon Trout

I am old enough to remember the angst and terror some people seemed to have at the introductions of Windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. In each case people said the old one (yes, even Windows 3.11 for Workgroups) was better and they'd never learn how to use the new one. I suspect some said the same for each one.

Incidentally I saw a funny cartoon in a magazine the other day. It showed a bunch of Luddites in the 19th century smashing the new fangled machines that were putting artisans out of work, and another man addressing them saying "My steam powered machine smasher can do the work of ten men!"

DaveLembke

Sage
Maybe my performance issue with Windows 10 is because of my hardware combination not tapping into DirectX 12. The article below suggests that DirectX 12 will theoretically be so much more than 11 and I am running on DirectX 10 for gaming. So maybe Windows 10 with DirectX 10 is not so great, but Windows 7 is perfect with DirectX 10, or it comes down to nVidia's driver for Windows 7 and my video card is better than the driver they made available for Windows 10 with my nvidia GTX 260 video card.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2900814/tested-directx-12s-potential-performance-leap-is-insane.html

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
I have machines running Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win 10.  I have no compulsion to change the OS on any of them.

Like SalmonTrout, I've been in the Insider's Program for Win 10 since it's inception so have been using Win 10 for nearly 2 years.  I have one machine running the very latest build which is one of the last before the upcoming Anniversary Update which is scheduled to be released on Aug 2nd.

As much as I like Win 10, I don't feel compelled to upgrade all of my machines to it since, after all, it's just an OS.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
I have it in a dual-boot setup with 7...

Seems i still use 7 more often though...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
My assistant is a triple boot Windows XP Windows 7 and Windows 10.

There is one specific program that I like very much and it only works on Windows 10 or on my Android tablet. There's no way to make it work on Windows 7.

Doing a triple boot installation brings its own problems. It's much more difficult to do maintenance on a computer with 3 operating systems.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Like Salmon I've been fiddling with Win10 on some of my systems  since some of the earlier Insider builds. I put the "Fast" insider build on my old desktop and the standard RTM on my "budget" build system. A few weeks ago I upgraded the laptop (Thinkpad T550) which I tend to use as a work machine, and it's been fine and the only issue was I had to repair Visual Studio 2015.

I think the advantages of Windows 10 are overstated, particularly given the regressions in some of the basic functionality (eg. VPN network connection), but it's not unilaterally worse by any means, and most of the things people are concerned about can be disabled. The "Rolling release" where new versions of Windows are effectively provided as an update going forward is interesting though of course raises the question of how Microsoft makes money from it and whether in some way customers become the product.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.