Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Using dial up with no phone service  (Read 2420 times)

margaretforgets

Using dial up with no phone service
« on: November 27, 2005, 06:41:10 AM »
Can I connect to the internet on a dial up connection without having phone service?

GX1_Man

Re: Using dial up with no phone service
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 07:02:20 AM »
Well of course not!  :o

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 07:53:15 AM »
Can I connect to the internet on a dial up connection without having phone service?

You must be joking?  If you have no phone service, how do you intend to "dial-up"?

margaretforgets

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 10:26:48 AM »
Well,
My friend had his phone service shut off (due to non-payment) but still was able to get online. Would that be because the internet was a cable connection?
Then, do you have to subscribe to cable tv to have a cable connection for the internet?
I'm not really as dumb as this sounds,....really.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 01:31:31 PM »
...Then, do you have to subscribe to cable tv to have a cable connection for the internet?....

No.  BTW, you asked specifically about "dial-up".  DSL may be available without POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service), but I don't know for sure.

Dell4700

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 02:00:54 PM »
Several cell phone providers offer G3 broadband/hi-speed data capabilities including net access.  Check with Sprint and others.

Direct TV offers broadband access via satellite.  They say no phone required, but I'm not sure how it works without it.

Dell

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 09:25:06 AM »
I could be wrong but i believe that Cable is the only service that does not require a working phone line...
The last time i checked sattelite it still required a phone line to establish your ISP connect.

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 04:24:14 PM »
...i believe that Cable is the only service that does not require a working phone line...

True for almost all cable.  Some systems may still use cable for download and phone line for uploads, but this is being phased out.