Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Automatic repair - Windows 10  (Read 5088 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Automatic repair - Windows 10
« on: June 29, 2016, 06:03:30 PM »
Greetings friendly Computer Hope forum members.

Since updating my machine to windows 10 (Specs will be listed below) my computer has had some odd affairs. From the beginning ive had this issue where randomly the system refuses to boot into windows but instead boots into Automatic repair and then claims it cannot be fixed and offers me a restart. It stopped happening months ago so i left it alone  and then even when it did a simple restart always solved my issue. Today a restart does not solve my issue. I went into troubleshoot and advanced and into command prompt and did a checkdisk. It finished instantly (oddly instantly ) reporting no issues.

So now my question is, do i simply just format and reload the machine or is there anything else i can do? I thought of a system restore to earlier date however i do not wish to loose any files ive edited created over the past 2 weeks. Last restore date was the 14th i believe?

System is a home built machine that has served me since 2013 i believe.
Asus M5a97 motherboard
AMD FX 8120 CPU
8GB DDR3 Kingston RAM (2x 4gb sticks)
MSI Hawk R6870 GPU
1TB WD Black (boot drive)
1TB seagate Barracuda (extra drive)
Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro 64x)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Automatic repair - Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 05:31:33 AM »
First thing I would do is verify the integrity of your hard disk. Go to the website of your hd manufacturer and download, burn and run their diagnostic utility. Alternatively, you can open a command prompt and type: chkdsk /r (then press enter). You will be told the drive is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk at the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt, and reboot. If you have multiple drives or partitions, repeat the process for each (ie, for d: drive the command would be: chkdsk d: /r, etc). Note that there is a space after chkdsk and before the slash / switch.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:47:17 PM »
First thing I would do is verify the integrity of your hard disk. Go to the website of your hd manufacturer and download, burn and run their diagnostic utility. Alternatively, you can open a command prompt and type: chkdsk /r (then press enter). You will be told the drive is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk at the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt, and reboot. If you have multiple drives or partitions, repeat the process for each (ie, for d: drive the command would be: chkdsk d: /r, etc). Note that there is a space after chkdsk and before the slash / switch.

Allan, i appreciate the quick reply, but i already tried a check disk and it went by way too fast. perhaps i was doing it incorrectly. i went under advanced options because i cant boot to it, >trouble shoot> Advanced Options> CMD and typed chkdsk C: /r /f /x

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:18:56 PM »
The correct command is chkdsk /r

However, please try to download the diagnostic utility from the website of your hd manufacturer - burn it to cd, boot to it and run it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 03:42:24 PM »
If it went that fast it didn't run...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »
Yep - I'm pretty sure he understands that :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 03:55:18 PM »
My bad then...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 04:32:06 PM »
np

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 05:57:19 PM »
If it went that fast it didn't run...

That was pretty much the entire point of the post. i would hit enter, and it would spit out like typing dir in dos. that fast. So i got a third drive, connected it to the machine installed 7 on it, since apparently windows 10 cant do a check disk properly and am running a check disk on the drive while in windows on another.

xfiles63

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
    If Im not mistaken theres an update from Win 7 that affects pc`s with Asus boards that will keep the machine from restarting.Perhaps this what happened?