Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Full instructions on best way to use CCleaner  (Read 3278 times)

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Full instructions on best way to use CCleaner
    « on: July 09, 2016, 03:11:57 PM »
    I have used CCleaner for many years on all my computers and have been very careful on what I tick before running it. The newest version has so much more on it that I am now uneasy everytime I use it. I found 2 instruction videos on You Tube and crashed my Windows 10 HP Laptop by following the info. The entire Windows 10 was removed and fortunately the copy was still in the system recovery. I now just tick the basic very simple items. (temp, registry cleaner, cookies, etc. just the basics)I would like to venture out and use the software in a greater capacity. The only instructions I have been able to find are yours (Computer Hope) dated 2006. That is so many years ago and CC has come a long way since then. Can you help me to utilize this wonderful software in a greater capacity?
    Thank you so much.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Full instructions on best way to use CCleaner
    « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 04:02:49 PM »
    It really doesn't do anything other than delete files, which you could easily do without 3rd party software.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 04:32:13 PM »
    Here is a short list of alternatives to CCleaner.
        Bleachbit
        Glary Utilities
        Clean Master
        Wise Registry Cleaner
        Wise Disk Cleaner
        Wise Care 365

But first, you ought to reads this:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001077.htm
    Although these utilities can make the Windows Registry clean, the overall potential benefits are greatly outweighed by the potential harm they could cause. We suggest users do not install or use Windows Registry cleaners on their Windows computers. 
    Without getting technical, the Windows Forestry has it own way of deciding what is relevant. Invalid entries have little impact on performance. That are just ignored.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 04:49:13 PM »
    Please ignore the above advice regarding registry cleaners. You should NEVER use a registry cleaner - they do more harm than good (and they do NO good).

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »
    Which also means do NOT use CCleaner's registry cleaner...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 08:52:48 PM »
      Thank everyone for their advice about the reg. cleaner but there are so many other areas listed such as menu order cache, tray notification cache, old prefetch data, windows size/location cache and a few other cache items. Several items/areas listed in Windows System and Advanced. Are they relevant at all?

zep516

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 09:07:03 PM »
        Don’t use the Advanced options unless you are very, very sure that you know what you are doing. These options are precisely the tools that could do some serious damage to your system if used wrongly.

http://features.en.softonic.com/ccleaners-advanced-options-should-you-risk-it
        Manners are the basis of a civilized society and make everyone's lives just a little happier. They cost nothing but they are worth so much

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 04:05:32 AM »
        Thank everyone for their advice about the reg. cleaner but there are so many other areas listed such as menu order cache, tray notification cache, old prefetch data, windows size/location cache and a few other cache items. Several items/areas listed in Windows System and Advanced. Are they relevant at all?

All that does is automate the deletion of unneeded files - something you could easily do on your own if you wanted to. But candidly there is little if any value in deleting them 99.9% of the time.

For some reason people have come to believe that ccleaner is some magic cure-all. It is not. It's good at what it does, but what it does is very basic and almost always unnecessary.