Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing browsers  (Read 2677 times)

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Changing browsers
    « on: July 19, 2016, 09:57:30 AM »
    Hi  -
    I am running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer as my default browser.  I have had several things that are  not so much a problem as a bother.  I get drop down panels that say: "suddenlink is not responding" or "internet explorer is not working" or "1 program is still running".  Geek-9pm suggested using another browser so I switched to Google Chrome as my default browser. None of my problems appeared when I used Chrome.  I used Chrome for a couple of days then I switched back to IE as my default browser.  I no longer see any of my problems.  It appears that shifting to another browser from IE browser solved the problems that I had using the IE bowser.  My question is , how is this possible?
    Thanks for help.        Bob               

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Changing browsers
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 10:14:50 AM »
    They missed you Bob.....they wanted you back so they fixed everything....

Just kidding... ;D
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 09:03:07 AM »
      Hi  -
      After some trial & error it appears that running IE there are some problems but not as many as before.  Crome as my browser seems to be OK so I will stay with that.   Thanks        Bob

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 10:48:12 PM »
      Why not just do a Reset on IE?

Click the Cog on the top right
      Select Internet Options
      Select the Advanced Tab
      Click Reset

"Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

monicadawson

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 06:08:11 AM »
        The first run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter. Search and click Troubleshooting. At the top of the left menu, click View All, then Internet Explorer Performance.

3.1 troubleshooting - Internet explorer performance

There is an Advanced link which displays the option to Run as administrator. I always suggest this when searching for problems since admin rights can yield more accurate results. Make sure the checkbox Apply repairs automatically is checked, click Next and follow the rest of the instructions.

3.2 IE performance scan

Turning off hardware acceleration can also help. Hardware acceleration uses your PC’s graphics card to accelerate graphics-extensive tasks, such as streaming video or playing online games.

4.1 IE tools - Internet options

In Internet Explorer, click the “gear” Tools button in the top right corner, then click Internet Options on the menu. Select the Advanced tab, then check the box for Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering. Click OK and restart Internet Explorer for the change to take effect.

4.2 Internet Options - Advanced - Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering

Add-ons can often interfere with the browser’s performance. The best way to determine if this is the case is to temporarily disable them. Unfortunately, going to Manage Add-ons and disabling them means you have to go back and manually enable them, as there will be some you will already have disabled. This would be very time-consuming.

5.1 IE - add-ons disabled

There’s a better way. Open the Run box (Windows Key + R) and type iexplore.exe -extoff and hit Enter (Surprisingly, this method wasn’t found on Microsoft’s IE troubleshooting page).

5.2 Run - iexplore.exe -extoff

If all else fails, you can do a complete reset of Internet Explorer, mentioned previously in the “404 Error” section. As previously stated, this will return it to the beginning state in which it was first installed on your computer. It’d be a good idea to back up your bookmarks and any saved passwords/web forms you have.

Display Issues
        If a website isn’t looking like you would expect it to, such as appearing blank, images not displaying, broken or jumbled text, or out of place menus, there could be some compatibility issues between IE and the website. A quick solution might be adding this site to the Compatibility View list. In Internet Explorer, click the Tools “gear” button and then Compatibility View settings. The site you’re currently on will automatically display in the text field, so all you do is click the Add button and close the window.

7 IE tools - Compatibility View settings

If you’re still having issues, you can also try turning off hardware acceleration, mentioned in the previous section.

8.1 IE Tools - manage add-ons

Did you turn on Tracking Protection for that site previously? Though there are benefits to it, it may also interfere with content. To turn off Tracking Protection, click the Tools “gear” button and Manage add-ons. Tracking Protection is the last option in the left column titled Add-on Types. Then right-click on the list and click Disable.

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 11:54:14 AM »
          Hi  -
          Thanks to those who replied.  I am still checking the suggestions but I already seem to have some improvement.   Thanks       Bob